Best train route Paris to Lucerne & rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 12:12:45 #816722

Hello,

I am planning to travel from Paris to Lucerne on 15 July to 18 July.

Can any one suggest me the best route?

Also should I buy Eurail passes or Swiss Travel Card (for 3 days visit in Swithzerland)

Thanks,

Mayur

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    18 June 2018 at 16:26:39 #888668

Hi Mayur,

We took the TGV Lyria from Paris to Basel. Once in Basel, we took one of the regular Swiss trains to Lucerne (1 change)

You can check options online using trainline.eu or other such websites.

Good Luck!

Chandni

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 17:14:21 #888669

Hi Mayur and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss railways timetable will give you the train routes from Paris to Lucerne: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

For 3 days of travel in Switzerland, the 3 day Swiss Travel Pass would make perfect sense. https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 22:45:30 #888670

Paris – central Switzerland is possible three ways:

Paris – Bern TGV, one change at Bern; Bern – Luzern by high speed line or the pretty regional route via the Emmental (of cheese fame)

Paris – Basel TGV; Basel – Luzern train direct or one change depending on the hour

Paris – Zurich TGV; Zurich – Luzern direct through train

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 23:39:43 #888671

I also seeking expert advice with my this reply…I will be staying Luzern for 5 days in Nov, and coming from Paris…I will be taking winter tell pass for central Switzerland…..what I thought of for first day while coming from Paris to take train till Basel and from Basel to interlaken there is 2 hours journey and reasoning behind this route explained

a) My 16 years old daughter interested to learn chocolate manyfacruring process and near interlaken station 10 minutes walk, a very famous such CO is there..

b) tell pass anyway covered interlaken Luzern express train and rather coming again from Luzern to interlaken and going back ,it’s better we covered this panoramic train in our arrival day journey itself…

We will anyhow be going to Luzern on arrival day because of our hotel stay there, and now my question is when my daughter learning chocolate process, we ( myself and my wife) have at least 2 hours leisure time,Jungfrau out of question and we don’t interested in that either, so whether you can suggest any visit to leuterbrunne or Montreux by train or any scenic place at Inter.laken for those two hours…further, we shall be purchasing tell pass beforehand online and on arrival date from Paris ,how we validate it’s use while taking train from interlaken to Luzern..??its Nov month and very less crowd ,does we need to reserve seat at SBB in advance in that express train or just by tell pass We Be go inside the train…please clarify my doubts and suggest with your experience know,edge…

thanks in advance …

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 12:05:36 #888672

Hi Hansaria,

No validation of the Tell Pass is required. You can just hop on the train and show the rail pass when asked by staff. https://www.myswissalp s.com/tellpasswinter/h owtouse

I’d probably suggest a trip out of Interlaken in November. It really depends on the date you are there. 2 hours though does not give you much time to do anything.

The mountains close by Interlaken (and easily reached) are closed by November. You may be able to fit a boat trip in on Lake Thun but the schedule is limited. Perhaps a visit to the town of Thun (train or boat) would be nice for lunch.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/boatlakethun
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/thun

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 12:29:01 #888673

Thanks Lucas Sir for your prompt reply….We shall be visiting on 23rd Nov from Paris and luzerne is ultimate destination because of our hotel stay there….Hope then interlaken town itself be good for 2 hours sight seeing by foot if weather also permits that time….thanks

• The thread ‘Best train route Paris to Lucerne & rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.