Best paragliding in Grindelwald or Interlaken?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2018 at 0:48:59 #814446

We will be in Switzerland the end of May 2018 and want to go Paragliding. I am looking at either Griendelwald or Interlaken. Can anyone tell me which town is the better place to Paraglide from. Could you please share your experience and what company you used.

Thank you!!

Kaylee

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    21 February 2018 at 6:11:28 #876897

Hi Kaylee,

I’ve flown from Interlaken with a company called Sky Wings and found them very professional and would fly with them again. We took a mini-bus half way up Beattenberg and launched from there, but you can also fly from the other side of the valley if conditions are better. This was my wifes’ first paraglide and she had a blast. They flew quite close to the forested hills and you really got the full impression of flight and flying over Interlaken itself was a hoot!

We are going back to Grindelwald this year and intend to do some flying from there because of the proximity of the mountains. It should be more impressive when they are so close. I haven’t done any research yet about which company to chose, but most of the companies offering joy flights can arrange excursions centered just about anywhere in the Oberland, be it from First above Grindelwald, or Lauterbrunnen or even Allmenalp in the Kandertal. Some companies are proper flying schools and offer instruction as well as joy flights, others only do the joy flights.

To try and make the choice a bit simpler, go to the area that involves the least travel time to reach. If you are already in Grindelwald, fly from there.

If the weather is good, you might have to book for the next day because lots of people may have the same idea. Likewise, if the weather is bad, your flight may be postponed

It really doesn’t matter where you go, you are going to have a magical time.

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2018 at 0:05:30 #876898

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the information on Skywings. I will look them up!

Kaylee

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 February 2018 at 3:35:30 #876899

Hi Kayleee-

Layt May is still pretty much Winter or maybe early Spring at high altitudes (above 2000 meters). Spring is much further advanced at lower altitudes. You may not have to deal with that, but , check for seasonal availability of the services that you want.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Best paragliding in Grindelwald or Interlaken?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.