Rail pass for 2 days Basel-Zurich-Lucerne-Milan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 16:46:20 #814705

Greetings!

I am planning to visit Switzerland in a couple of weeks.

So roughly speaking, this is what my 2 days itinerary is going to look like:

1st Day: I will be arriving at morning via plane to Basel, where I will stay for a couple hours (any recommendation for what should one visit if one is only in Basel for a couple hours?)

Then I plan to take a fast train to Zurich where I will spend the rest of the day touring the city.

2nd Day: Next morning, I plan to take a fast train to Lucerne where I will spend the whole day touring the city and also visit the nearby Mount Titlis

3rd Day: A the morning of my 3rd day, I plan to take a train to Milan. Since the passes are generally only applicable in Switzerland, I guess I could save money by taking a train from Lucerne to the border of Italy and Switzerland and from there, I’ll take another train to Milan.

As per my above plan, any recommendation on which pass will be the best for me?

Thanks!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 19:30:19 #878402

Hi mhali and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So you are staying in Zurich on the first night and Lucerne on the 2nd night?

What are your interests in Switzerland? With such a short trip I would avoid moving around too much – maybe both nights in Lucerne…it is the more popular and interesting town I think.

Yes, you’ll save money if you don’t buy a ticket to the Italian border for sure. If you have the Swiss Travel Pass you are covered to the border in any case. You’ll just need to buy a ticket from the border (probably Domodossola or Chiasso depending on your route) on to Milan.

You can use our web page on how to choose the best rail pass to help you choose the best on for you. You’ll need to decide on all trips you will take while in Switzerland first.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 23:58:48 #878403

>> I guess I could save money by taking a train from Lucerne to the border of Italy and Switzerland and from there, I’ll take another train to Milan.

As long as you have your pass and/or tickets for the whole journey before you board in Luzern, you won’t need to get off the train at the border (unless you specifically choose a connection that requires a transfer there).

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 March 2018 at 9:24:02 #878404

As Lucas implied – skip Zurich. Go straight to Lucerne. Much more to see and do there. Also you won’t waste time changing hotels. With a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass you can get Basel to Lucerne AND visit Rigi for free on day 1. Visit Titlis with 50% discount on Cable car and travel to Italian border on day 3. Best of all apart from Titlis cable car you wouldn’t need to buy any other tickets in Switzerland. Buy the pass on-line and print at home so when you get to Basel just hop on any train and go.

On your way to Milan go via Göschenen otherwise the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will show you the quickest route and you will spend 57Km underground in the Gotthard Base Tunnel which is not the most scenic part of Switzerland. 🤓

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 2 days Basel-Zurich-Lucerne-Milan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.