Best Pass for 5 day Trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2014 at 16:45:29 #806374

Dear All,

My husband and I will be staying in Bernese-Oberland area for 5 days. Below is a detailed itinerary. Which PASS would be the best for our needs. Thank you very much!

Day 1

Arrive in Zurich from USA. Take train to Lauterbrunnen

Day 2

Train Lauterbrunnen to Wengen Walk thru village

Cable car to Mannlichen

Walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg

From there take cog-train up to Jungfraujoch Walk around

Take train to Kleine Scheidegg

Train from here to Grindelwald back to Interlaken – lauterbrunnen

Day 3

Start at Lauterbrunnen
    Gondola to Grutschalp
    Walk along tram line to Murren

From Murren take cable car down to Stechelberg (or Schilthorn) bus to Trummelbach
    Waterfall

Bus back to Lauterbrunnen

Day 4
    Grindelwad via Kl. Scheidegg
    Take gondola to First and hike up to Bachalpsee (If more time further hike from Lake to Waldspitz – Bort )
    Gondola back to Grindelwald

Day 5
    Hike the Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg section
    Head down and take a Lake Thun cruise

Day 6

Train to Zurich

Visit Zurich

Train to airport

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    20 May 2014 at 17:15:09 #839998

Hi angelaf22,

I would probably get the 4-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, as it includes almost all transportation for free, so no tickets needed. On the day that the pass is not valid (day 1 or 5), you would need a regular ticket. If you travel to or from Zurich via Lucerne (Golden Pass route) on a day covered by your pass, you only need tickets for the short leg from Zurich Airport to Lucerne: CHF 28 per person. See here for pass details and the Swiss Railways website for prices.

Another option is the Swiss Half Fare Card, which gets you 50% off all trips. See here for details.

If you need to be sure what works out cheapest, please find the instructions here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2014 at 15:51:47 #839999

Hi Annika,

Will I be able to purchase the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland at the airport in Zurich or should I purchase it at the train station in Lauterbrunnen?

Many thanks for your help!

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 July 2014 at 18:47:47 #840000

Hi angelaf22,

It’s available online or at rail stations in the region. Please see the pass page for all purchase options. It’s probably available at the airport too, but I’m not 100% sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 July 2014 at 11:19:03 #840001

Thank you Annika!

one last question.. besides Swiss francs, can you use euros in Switzerland as well?

Annika
    7116 posts
    12 July 2014 at 11:24:44 #840002

Hi angelaf22,

Please see here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfranc

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2014 at 16:35:09 #840003

4 day regionasl pass = 230CHF + Zurich to Lucerne 28 CHF + single journey between Wengen and Zurich 85 CHF + 50% Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch return 120 = 463 CHF

Swiss half fare card = 120 CHF + return journey to Wengen 85 CHF + half price on all journeys on days 2 to 4 except Kleine Sheidegg to Jungfraujoch return 120 CHF = 325 CHF + journeys on days 2 to 4. You can work these out from the SBB website…go to timetable, search the journey, select any option and click on fare…then use the drop down menu and choose half fare option.

All journeys except Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch on days 2 to 4 would have to come to more than CHF 138 (with the haslf fare discount) for the regional pass to be better than the half fare card.

No liability is accepted for any errors or oversights – please check figures and pass validities yourself!

I am having problems pastinlinks to Swiss half fare card and regional pass validity maps but perhaps they are elsewhweere on this site.

y:

Annika
    7116 posts
    13 July 2014 at 17:05:44 #840004

Hello mikesc60,

These are the links you are looking for:

• The thread ‘Best Pass for 5 day Trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.