Best rail pass for Montreux and Lucerne

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Quirky
Quirky
6 posts
Apr 15, 2018 - 6:37 AM

Hello, My husband and I are travelling to Switzerland in May. We arrive in Montreux (Eurail) and have an afternoon and morning there before travelling to Lucerne (Eurail) for almost two full days. We are wanting to do Rigi and Pilatus plus the lake cruise, time permitting. Are we best to purchase a Tellpass? It seems it is not valid in Montreux. Have researched long and hard but still am a little confused. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Kerry

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Apr 15, 2018 - 9:22 AM in reply to Quirky

Hi Quirky,

The Tell-Pass summer looks like a good option.

There is only one way to know for sure: plan your itinerary in detail, including all trips by train, bus, boat and cable car. Then look up the full-fare cost of all these planned trips and compare the total cost of separate tickets with the cost of doing the same trips with a Swiss rail pass.

You can find fares in the Swiss Timetable: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

It is important to be aware that the fare shown for any trip in the Swiss Timetable defaults to half fare, as most Swiss residents will have a Half-Fare travel card which entitles them to this discount. Your calculations need to be based on full fares, which are double the default fare that comes up.

There is information and a spreadsheet here to help you: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Quirky
Quirky
6 posts
Apr 15, 2018 - 11:57 PM in reply to Chantal

Thank you Chantal. I will get my spreadsheet out! Cheers Kerry

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018