Best rail pass for Montreux and Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 6:37:36 #815333

Hello, My husband and I are travelling to Switzerland in May. We arrive in Montreux (Eurail) and have an afternoon and morning there before travelling to Lucerne (Eurail) for almost two full days. We are wanting to do Rigi and Pilatus plus the lake cruise, time permitting. Are we best to purchase a Tellpass? It seems it is not valid in Montreux. Have researched long and hard but still am a little confused. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks Kerry

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 9:22:15 #882293

Hi Quirky,

The Tell-Pass summer looks like a good option.

There is only one way to know for sure: plan your itinerary in detail, including all trips by train, bus, boat and cable car. Then look up the full-fare cost of all these planned trips and compare the total cost of separate tickets with the cost of doing the same trips with a Swiss rail pass.

You can find fares in the Swiss Timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

It is important to be aware that the fare shown for any trip in the Swiss Timetable defaults to half fare, as most Swiss residents will have a Half-Fare travel card which entitles them to this discount. Your calculations need to be based on full fares, which are double the default fare that comes up.

There is information and a spreadsheet here to help you: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2018 at 23:57:55 #882294

Thank you Chantal. I will get my spreadsheet out! Cheers Kerry

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for Montreux and Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.