Best pass for travel in and around Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2020 at 18:16:26 #824956

Hi all,

My family of 4 will be visiting Switzerland this May. We will be based in Lucerne for 5 days. I cant decide which pass to purchase for our travel in and around Lucerne. We will land in Zurich and travel to Lucerne by train. We plan to visit the following sites.:Mt.Pilatus, Rigi,Titlis. We also want to do a cheese factory and visit some castles . And ofcourse the Lucerne lake tour.

I understand that we can purchase the Tell Pass or the Swiss Pass….the former seems more suited for my travel plans and much more cost effective. But is it that the Tell Pass provides free travel only for 2 days and then the tickets are discounted? If so then what is the %of discount?

Looking forward to all the help i can get. Thanks .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 January 2020 at 20:17:25 #928457

Hello Shrutij and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you are mainly staying in the Luzern area the Tell Pass (Summer) is indeed a good deal. You can get one for 5 days.

Based on your personal itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes. Be sure to check those pages for each pass you are considering. Study the map AND read all the text on those pages to fully understand what is covered by the respective pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2020 at 4:23:20 #928458

Hello Rockoyster

Appreciate your response. I have studied the terms and conditions of the Tell Pass. I am unclear about the 2 days of free usage of the pass….what are the charges applicable after the 2 days of free usage ?

Hope you can clarify my doubt!

Regards

Shruti.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 January 2020 at 5:53:32 #928459

If you buy a 2-day pass it is good for 2 days. If you buy a 5-day pass it is good for 5 days etc etc.

There are no advanatages once your allotted number of days is used. Have you read http://www.myswissalps.com/tellpass/howtouse?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2020 at 11:29:06 #928460

Hi

Well i did read on the tell pass website in the FAQ section about the 2 days condition of free use and discounted use for the later days…it had me confused…so thankyou for the clarification.

Regards

Shruti.🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2020 at 13:07:25 #928461

Hi Shruti,

I’ve checked their FAQ and it says if you buy the Tell Pass for with a longer validity then it will be cheaper per day. For example it is 190 CHF for 2 days (80 CHF/day) but if you get the 10 days long for 320 CHF, then it is only 32 CHF/day.

If you go to http://www.myswissalps.com/tellpass/price, you’ll find better prices than on their website.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Best pass for travel in and around Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.