Rail pass for Venice to Grindelwald & to Germany

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 14:15:16 #811057

Hello,

My husband and I will be coming from Venice and staying in the Jungfrau region for 2 days before heading up to Germany. We have tentatively decided to stay in Grindelwald due to easy accessibility to trains and hiking trails. We plan to visit Jungfraujoch, hike in the region, try the cable cars and maybe visit Lauterbrunnen. I would like the flexibility of being able to get on and off the train if we spot a place we would like to visit. I am having trouble deciding which rail pass to purchase. I am ok buying tickets as long as we will have a seat on the train, I read somewhere that they can sell out? Is this true for the scenic trains and the regional trains? We have not yet purchased any train tickets for Italy or Germany. Would the EuroRail pass be a good option? Any help with this planning is very appreciated.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 19:38:48 #860039

Hi OSUTraveler and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would look at either the Eurail Select Pass (for Italy, Germany and/or Switzerland) and then the Jungfrau Travel Pass for your trip in Switzerland.

Read more about the Jungfrau Travel Pass and what is includes here. It covers most routes in the area (once you are in Interlaken) and gives discounts, like 50% to Jungfraujoch (noted here) and others.

You can read more about the Eurail Select Pass here, and decide whether it is a good option for you on your trip. It will get you to and from Interlaken – coming in and out of Switzerland.
    Once past Interlaken, heading to Grindelwald, it only offers a discount on the routes (25% off to Jungfraujoch for example). If you are training a lot in Italy and Germany however it may make sense to get the 3 country Select Pass though.

Seat reservations are not common and rarely done on Swiss trains (except the Panoramic trains).

Trains never actually ‘sell out’ but it may be hard to find seats (and seats together) on some busier routes in the summer. Worst-case scenario though, none of the trains are particularly long in this region so I wouldn’t make it a concern.

I hope that makes sense? Have a good read through the pages I linked and especially “where they are valid” tabs (maps included) to help you. Let me know if you have further concerns!

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Rail pass for Venice to Grindelwald & to Germany’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.