Rail pass for Venice to Grindelwald & to Germany

Rail pass for Venice to Grindelwald & to Germany

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
OSUtraveler
OSUtraveler
1 post
Mar 13, 2017 - 2:15 PM

Hello,

My husband and I will be coming from Venice and staying in the Jungfrau region for 2 days before heading up to Germany. We have tentatively decided to stay in Grindelwald due to easy accessibility to trains and hiking trails. We plan to visit Jungfraujoch, hike in the region, try the cable cars and maybe visit Lauterbrunnen. I would like the flexibility of being able to get on and off the train if we spot a place we would like to visit. I am having trouble deciding which rail pass to purchase. I am ok buying tickets as long as we will have a seat on the train, I read somewhere that they can sell out? Is this true for the scenic trains and the regional trains? We have not yet purchased any train tickets for Italy or Germany. Would the EuroRail pass be a good option? Any help with this planning is very appreciated.

Thank you!

Lucas
Lucas
7180 posts
expert &
Mar 13, 2017 - 7:38 PM in reply to OSUtraveler

Hi OSUTraveler and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would look at either the Eurail Select Pass (for Italy, Germany and/or Switzerland) and then the Jungfrau Travel Pass for your trip in Switzerland.

Read more about the Jungfrau Travel Pass and what is includes here. It covers most routes in the area (once you are in Interlaken) and gives discounts, like 50% to Jungfraujoch (noted here) and others.

You can read more about the Eurail Select Pass here, and decide whether it is a good option for you on your trip. It will get you to and from Interlaken - coming in and out of Switzerland.
Once past Interlaken, heading to Grindelwald, it only offers a discount on the routes (25% off to Jungfraujoch for example). If you are training a lot in Italy and Germany however it may make sense to get the 3 country Select Pass though.

Seat reservations are not common and rarely done on Swiss trains (except the Panoramic trains).

Trains never actually 'sell out' but it may be hard to find seats (and seats together) on some busier routes in the summer. Worst-case scenario though, none of the trains are particularly long in this region so I wouldn't make it a concern.

I hope that makes sense? Have a good read through the pages I linked and especially "where they are valid" tabs (maps included) to help you. Let me know if you have further concerns!

Regards,
Lucas

Last modified on Mar 13, 2017 - 7:45 PM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018