Best pass for Swiss mountain transport if driving

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 10:03:46 #814701

Hi my and family and I would be having a 3 week vacation in Switzerland by car was wondering what’s the cheapest way to travel using cogwheel and cable car we would be visiting all the major towns and mountains and lakes too!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 15:29:13 #878380

Hi Hamza and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would look at getting the Swiss Half Fare Card to help reduce the price of your excursions.

To be sure, be sure to read: how to choose the best rail pass though – as there are regional passes as well you could get.

We typically recommend traveling around Switzerland by train rather than car – usually much easier and simpler. Have a read through our page: traveling by car vs. train in Switzerland in case you haven’t.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 5:46:46 #878381

Hi Lucas thank you for your reply I shall look in the other options as you have mentioned and will post again if we need more help

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 March 2018 at 6:25:12 #878382

Hi Hamza –

When are you traveling? It can affect driving.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 12:53:36 #878383

Hey slowpoke we would be travelling on the 6th of Oct for 3 weeks the plan is lucerne – verona – pisa – nice – Geneva- interlarken my dad can’t walk much so I was assuming that travelling by car be best. If you have and cool tips for this route please do share 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 March 2018 at 14:25:18 #878384

Hi Hamza-

The weatyer may have some cool tips. 😉

September is usually considered the best month for traveling in Switzerland. The August rush of tourists has pretty much dissipated, and the weather is at its best.

By the time you get into October, there is increasing chance of snow at high altitudes, and by late October, there is a high probability of snow on the higher Alpine trails.

Since I assume you will not be doing much hiking, that should not present a problem.

Mountain passes usually close in December, sometimes earlier, but there can be occasions where they close much sooner:

http://www.thelocal.ch/201710 24/alpine-passes-close-as-snow-hits-switzerland-weather

The last of your route, back to Interlaken from Geneva does not require high altitude driving. I’m not sure about the roads from Nice to Geneva, but some are mountainous.

Slowpoke

Since you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2018 at 15:18:35 #878385

Hey slowpoke thanks much for the info yea I was thinking to take the route via Turin and mount Blanc to check out the scene.hioe I get the seanic routes correctly and would love to get some snow as well. How the weather would be kind on those days of travel.:)

• The thread ‘Best pass for Swiss mountain transport if driving’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.