Best place for equipment hire in Grindelwald?

Best place for equipment hire in Grindelwald?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
RVD258
RVD258
2 posts
Jul 19, 2017 - 8:22 AM

Hi all,

My wife and I are traveling to Grindelwald from Australia for 4 days in September this year. One of my personal goals is to climb the west ridge of the Eiger to the summit (hopefully, and weather dependent). Rather than carrying a lot of hiking/climbing gear around Europe, I'd rather rent equipment while I am there.

Can anyone please tell me the best place, and the rough cost for 2 days hire of:

- Hiking/Alpine boots

- Crampons

- Ice axe

- Rope

- Bivvy bag

Thank in advance,

Ryan

Lucas
Lucas
3376 posts
expert &
Jul 20, 2017 - 9:54 AM in reply to RVD258

Hi RVD258,

I don't know about the costs of renting gear but I can point you to a couple websites for more details.

They mostly rent ski gear in the winter, but they may also offer mountaineering gear. One popular option is Intersport: https://www.intersport rent.com/en/ch/skirent al-grindelwald

If they don't or can't rent you to gear try the Swiss Alpine Club at http://www.sac-cas.ch/ for tips and rental places.

These type of expeditions need a guide most of the time and a guide should be able to arrange for gear as well. Try Grindelwald tourism for more details on climbing and renting gear.

Lucas

Last modified on Jul 20, 2017 - 4:19 PM by Lucas
RVD258
RVD258
2 posts
Jul 20, 2017 - 12:41 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks Lucas,

Appreciate your help mate. I'll check out those websites and send some Emails to find out what gear they have available for hire.

If anyone else has been to Grindelwald recently and can provide more information, that would be appreciated.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017