Best place for equipment hire in Grindelwald?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 8:22:11 #812661

Hi all,

My wife and I are traveling to Grindelwald from Australia for 4 days in September this year. One of my personal goals is to climb the west ridge of the Eiger to the summit (hopefully, and weather dependent). Rather than carrying a lot of hiking/climbing gear around Europe, I’d rather rent equipment while I am there.

Can anyone please tell me the best place, and the rough cost for 2 days hire of:

– Hiking/Alpine boots

– Crampons

– Ice axe

– Rope

– Bivvy bag

Thank in advance,

Ryan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 9:54:15 #867033

Hi RVD258,

I don’t know about the costs of renting gear but I can point you to a couple websites for more details.

They mostly rent ski gear in the winter, but they may also offer mountaineering gear. One popular option is Intersport: https://www.intersport rent.com/en/ch/skirent al-grindelwald

If they don’t or can’t rent you to gear try the Swiss Alpine Club at http://www.sac-cas.ch/ for tips and rental places.

These type of expeditions need a guide most of the time and a guide should be able to arrange for gear as well. Try Grindelwald tourism for more details on climbing and renting gear.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 12:41:59 #867034

Thanks Lucas,

Appreciate your help mate. I’ll check out those websites and send some Emails to find out what gear they have available for hire.

If anyone else has been to Grindelwald recently and can provide more information, that would be appreciated.

• The thread ‘Best place for equipment hire in Grindelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.