Best places to visit in Switzerland within 8 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 6:17:52 #816955

Hello, I am travelling with my husband to Switzerland for the first time. We arrive in Zurich around 2pm on Aug 16th and return on Aug 25th morning from Geneva. I was recommended a two days stay in Murren by a friend as understand it’s a beautiful location. What are the other best places to visit and the best way to travel ? Need to plan my itinerary and have no clue how to start. Also want to see the Bond movie hotel and visit Grindelwald. Also if anyone can suggest on decent accom options. Checked out some hotel accom and understand there is a concept shared bathroom – not sure how convenient this is and if rooms with private bathrooms are expensive. Thank you, Bhavna

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 6:33:21 #889701

Hi Bhavna and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Mürren is indeed a beautiful town to visit (2 days may be too short!) https://www.myswissalp s.com/murren – you can find details on what to do in the area and our hotel suggestions – private bathrooms are not hard to find nor too expensive.

For James Bond you’ll want to visit Schilthorn, just above Mürren : https://www.myswissalp s.com/schilthorn

For general planning help for your 8 day trip, have a look at the following links:

I hope that helps get you started, let us know if you have more questions!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 6:37:18 #889702

Thanks, Lucas. It helps.. will look the links/details suggested by you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 9:46:29 #889703

Hi Bhavna,

For a short duration like yours (I too did a similar trip last week), I would suggest you to focus on max. 2 places: Luzern and Bernese Oberland. Or better still, you can spend your entire time in the BO area. Luzern is a great city but if you had been to London, Paris or Amsterdam then you can skip Luzern. Just my thoughts.

In the BO area, stay in the Lauterbrunnen Valley for cheaper deals. I stayed in Murren but I really do not think one needs to stay in Murren or Wengen. You can always visit these places for the day and stay up till late evening. Lauterbrunnen is also more easily accessible (although Murren or Wengen are only another 30 mins away).

The Bond movie hotel is Piz Gloria at Schilthorn, where you can go directly from Stechelberg near Lauterbrunnen with 3 easy changes of cable cars. On the way down stop at Birg and Gimmelwald.

Grindelwald is a different location…large, very touristy, but great view of the Eiger. Again, it is an easy single train trip from Lauterbrunnen.

Shared bathrooms are not an issue at all. They are always clean and well maintained. Even public toilets are clean.

Regards,

Ritu

• The thread ‘Best places to visit in Switzerland within 8 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.