Best purchase option for Bernese Oberland Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 19:01:49 #809248

Great site and thanks for the Pass Planner spreadsheet. As a result of our calculations, we decided to get the Six Day BO Pass and buy individual tickets between Zurich and Bern going to Wengen and from Luzern to Zurich on the return. If we were to purchase online, it appears that Swissrailways.com doesn’t offer a print at home option, but a pricey TNT delivery to the US or a almost similar fee to pick it up at ZRH. I checked the SBB site indicates that it is possible through them. Would there be really any cost advantage to pre purchase the pass or would it be more prudent to just wait until we arrive at ZRH Train Station and get it then?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    19 May 2016 at 5:42:39 #852262

Hi Mariahbay,

Glad to hear that spreadsheet was helpful! It’s indeed a pity that this pass is not available as a print at home pass yet. The main advantage of buying in advance is saving time. It will be ready to use (you just need to write your passport number on it), so you can board your first train quickly instead of waiting for a ticket office. Note that http://www.swissrailways.com/ en/products/ regionalberneseoberlan dpass also offers a much cheaper option to deliver the pass to any address in Switzerland, e.g. your hotel. Of course this will only work if you don’t need the pass before you reach your first hotel. So if you spend your first night in Zurich for example, this would be a good option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 9:46:03 #852263

Hi Mariahbay,

Just to let you know, I purchased our 6 day Bernese Oberland Passes from SBB yesterday, and was able to print them off straight away with no problems.

Arno
    15481 posts
    19 May 2016 at 10:06:10 #852264

Good to know about, thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 14:36:26 #852265

Thanks. I’ll do it when we get within their strange 10 day availability window.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 21:56:13 #852266

How did you do that?

i tried a few days ago and since I live in California there was no print at home possibility.

i would love to know how you were able to print at home!

Thanks in advance!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2016 at 11:17:44 #852267

I purchased 5 Bernese Oberland passes a few weeks ago and they arrived to Australia quite quickly. The cost for TNT freight was quite expensive however I just wanted to have them and be ready to use them as soon as we arrived in the area as we are travelling from Venice.

From what I could see they are only available print at home within about a week of the date you plan to use them. I was not keen to wait and order them so close to us leaving in case they did not arrive before we left.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2016 at 11:22:39 #852268

Claire, by the sounds of it the print at home option is only available a week or so before the start date – I purchased ours 3 days before our trip which may be why it worked? Also I was buying from UK, not sure if that would make any difference. Sorry I’m not much help!

• The thread ‘Best purchase option for Bernese Oberland Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.