Rail pass for 6 days Geneva, Interlaken & Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 18:41:02 #813718

We are group of 4 plan to visit to Geneva-> Interlaken->Zermatt, each attraction for two days during Christmas!!

I am not sure which pass would be the best for us as some of my friends are going to Italy after that so they are considering Interrail Global Pass. And for the rest who will be visiting Switzerland only, any suggestion for the travel pass?

Our plan at Interlaken is to visit to either Lake Brienz or Lake Thun first day and also Schilthorn since Halder Kulm will be closed during winter.

On Second day, we plan to visit to Jungfrau. If I am not mistaken, tickets to Junfgrau does not offer discount for interrail global pass holder but only for Swiss pass holder

any suggestion???.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2017 at 0:35:52 #872277

Hi Woonng, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> We are group of 4 plan to visit to Geneva-> Interlaken->Zermatt, each attraction for two days during Christmas!! I am not sure which pass would be the best for us as some of my friends are going to Italy after that so they are considering Interrail Global Pass. And for the rest who will be visiting Switzerland only, any suggestion for the travel pass?

There is only one way to know for sure which pass will save you the most: add up the full-fare cost of all trips you intend to do by train, bus, cable car and boat and compare the total cost with the cost of doing the same trips with a Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Half Fare Card and Interrail Pass.

There is information and a spreadsheet here to help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

If you can’t be bothered doing the calculations, the main pass to consider would probably be a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass to start using after you leave Geneva.

By the way, if I were you, I would skip Geneva and split my time between Zermatt and the Jungfrau Region. In that case, an 8-day pass might be a better choice, even if you don’t use all the days – but you will need to do your sums to be sure.

>> Our plan at Interlaken is to visit to either Lake Brienz or Lake Thun first day

You can visit the lakeside towns, but boats are only operating on the Thunersee (Lake Thun) at this time of year. You can download the timetable (Fahrplan) from here:

Fahrplan Thunersee Winter 2017/2018

http://www.bls.ch/de/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/fahrplan

>> If I am not mistaken, tickets to Junfgrau does not offer discount for interrail global pass holder but only for Swiss pass holder

Both passes offer discounts, but they differ:

• Swiss Travel Pass – free travel to Grindelwald or Wengen; 25% discount from Grindelwald or Wengen to the Jungfraujoch
    • Interrail Pass: 25% discount from Interlaken to the Jungfraujoch

You can download maps showing what is covered by each pass.

As explained in the legend on the maps, red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats. Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted. Discounts are mostly 50%, but only 25% for transport where you see the number “1” inside circle near the dotted line. There are a few grey lines on the maps as well, which are different for each pass. These indicate transport that is not covered by the pass.

Swiss Travel Pass coverage

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

Interrail Pass coverage in Switzerland

http://www.myswissalp s.com/interrailglobalp ass/validity

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 6 days Geneva, Interlaken & Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.