Best rail pass for different airports?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Julie
Julie
5 posts
Mar 1, 2017 - 8:33 PM

We are arriving at Zurich airport, planning to take the train to Murren and stay for couple days, one of which will included a day trip into/out of Wengen.

I'm comparing flight prices to see if more cost effective to leave out of Zurich again or out of Basel. My flight may be cheaper out of Basel, but may not be worth it if the rail pass is higher for point to point (Zurich to Murren , Wengen, and back to Zurich verses back to Basel instead).

I'm wondering what rail pass options are the best we return to Zurich airport (after Murren stay) or if we fly out of Basel airport instead? I appreciate any insight and advice! Thank you

Lucas
Lucas
9928 posts
expert &
Mar 2, 2017 - 8:08 AM in reply to Julie

Hi Julie,

The Swiss Travel Pass will cover all trains to and from Zurich airport as well as Basel airport. They cover all trains in Switzerland (except a few to mountain attractions such as Jungfraujoch which receive a discounted price only).

If you are doing very few train trips in the Mürren-Wengen area then you could also buy the Swiss Transfer Ticket that will cover any train from any town to any airport. You would then buy point to point tickets around Mürren. Either way you don't have to be concerned which airport you fly out of, you just need to do the math as to what pass will be more cost effective for you.

Regards,
Lucas

Last modified on Mar 2, 2017 - 7:58 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018