Best rail pass for different airports?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2017 at 20:33:44 #810937

We are arriving at Zurich airport, planning to take the train to Murren and stay for couple days, one of which will included a day trip into/out of Wengen.

I’m comparing flight prices to see if more cost effective to leave out of Zurich again or out of Basel. My flight may be cheaper out of Basel, but may not be worth it if the rail pass is higher for point to point (Zurich to Murren , Wengen, and back to Zurich verses back to Basel instead).

I’m wondering what rail pass options are the best we return to Zurich airport (after Murren stay) or if we fly out of Basel airport instead? I appreciate any insight and advice! Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2017 at 8:08:10 #859520

Hi Julie,

The Swiss Travel Pass will cover all trains to and from Zurich airport as well as Basel airport. They cover all trains in Switzerland (except a few to mountain attractions such as Jungfraujoch which receive a discounted price only).

If you are doing very few train trips in the MürrenWengen area then you could also buy the Swiss Transfer Ticket that will cover any train from any town to any airport. You would then buy point to point tickets around Mürren. Either way you don’t have to be concerned which airport you fly out of, you just need to do the math as to what pass will be more cost effective for you.

Regards,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘Best rail pass for different airports?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.