Zurich to Interlaken ticket w/ BO Regional Pass

• Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    14 March 2019 at 18:56:48 #820394

Is there another cost effective option for discounted tickets from Zurich to Interlaken, by train, other than the Half Fare Card?

We will be based in Interlaken and likely have a B-O regional pass as well for day trip travel in and around the Jungfrau area, boat trips on the lakes, and trains to Bern, Lucern, and Zermatt.

Are there any single rail pass options for two adults traveling together? (Two Together)?

All thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Thank You

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 March 2019 at 19:53:19 #906495

Hello Are2 and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Are there any single rail pass options for two adults traveling together? (Two Together)?

No.

The Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat) can help make a modest saving on the Fare from Zurich to Interlaken providing you can get it for the lowest price of CHF52.

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    15 March 2019 at 3:03:45 #906496

Thanks rock oyster for that information

Perhaps you can clarify one more thing for me?

With your GA travelcard, you can enjoy 15% off the standard price for the non-Swiss part of cross-border journeys to Germany and Austria.”

What is the GA travel card?

I don’t believe I’ve seen it explained or perhaps I’ve overlooked it.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2019 at 4:36:14 #906497

The GA Travel Card is only available to Swiss residents. It is not for tourists.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2019 at 18:09:37 #906498

Hi Are2,

The best pass for tourists is the Swiss Travel Pass, that would be the equivalent of a GA travel card (which is annual) for your short stay in Switzerland 🙂 http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

I am not aware of the Swiss Travel Pass having discounted travel to neighbouring countries though.

It seems to me that if you haven’t chosen your rail pass yet, you would benefit from calculating your best option. You can do that with the spreadsheet tool on our site if you really want the best value for money: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Hope this helps, and please get back to us if you have more specific questions!

Maria.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2019 at 20:35:34 #906499

Hi Are2,

Maria says “The best pass for tourists is the Swiss Travel Pass”.

But I understand you are planning a Regional Pass Bernese Oberland and are just looking for the most cost effective return trip from and to Zurich. I suggested the Saver Day Pass but in reality you are better off just using point-to-point tickets to/from Luzern or Bern where the BO Pass kicks in I would think.

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    15 March 2019 at 22:04:34 #906500

Actually, we will only need one way tickets from Zurich. Our adventure will take us to Germany from Interlaken and ultimately to Paris where we will depart for home.

So, let me see if I understand this correctly. Please advise me where necessary.

Arrive Zurich Airport, purchase 2 point to point tickets, Zurich to Luzern, with Half Fare Card, CHF30.00 for both. Continuing on from Luzern to Interlaken, with Bernese Oberland Pass at no additional cost.

Upon leaving Switzerland:

Interlaken to Bern with BO Pass, no charge. 2 point to point tickets, Bern to Basel with Half Fare Card, then Basel to Heidelberg using some form of Bahn Pass?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2019 at 22:10:05 #906501

That sounds about right but are you sure the Swiss Half-fare Card is even justified?

To get to Heidelberg you may find a Saver Fare Bern to Heidelberg from http://www.bahn.com/en/view/i ndex.shtml offers you the best price.

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    16 March 2019 at 4:36:35 #906502

“are you sure the Swiss Half-fare Card is even justified?”

Are you suggesting that we save the cost of the Half Fare Card, purchase only the Bernese Oberland Pass, and simply purchase tkts from Zurich to Luzern at regular price?

I suppose that would be more “cost effective” considering all of our travel will likely be relegated to the Bernese Oberland region.

I thought that the Half Fare Card would provide additional savings in conjunction with the B-O Pass?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 March 2019 at 5:56:24 #906503

The Swiss Half-Fare Card gives you no additional benefit over the BO Pass in the BO Region except you get a 25% discount on purchase of the BO Pass.

Let’s say you save CHF50 off the price of a BO Pass and CHF15 off the cost of a Zurich to Luzern ticket. You just save CHF 65 but the Swiss Half-Fare Card cost you CHF120 to do that. You are CHF55 out of pocket per person. These are rough figures but you get the picture.

You didn’t download the spreadsheet from http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass and do the math did you? 🤨

Are2
    Participant
    41 posts
    16 March 2019 at 11:38:52 #906504

LOL…actually I did download the spreadsheet but I haven’t have the patience to build my itinerary and do the math. I just started asking questions that I’m sure you’ve answered too many times.

I suspect I’ll have additional questions going forward, but hopefully not rail pass related.

Thank You for your insight and clarification.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2019 at 14:39:10 #906505

Hi Are,

Indeed, the best way to choose your pass is to do the math between the different passes, then you’ll know for sure!

Only you know your actual itinerary and your priorities, what you’re prepared to drop or add etc., so whilst we can help you with an indication of what might be the best choice, you are ultimately responsible for your trip planning as mentioned in the forum rules: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

I agree with Rockoyster, if you’re getting a BO Pass anyway, the rest of the trip might be more cost-effective without a Half Fare card.

All the best in your planning!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Zurich to Interlaken ticket w/ BO Regional Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.