Best round trip to Jungfraujoch from Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2020 at 1:54:57 #825297

Hello!

I will be spending four nights at Hotel Edelweiss in Wengen with Jungraujoch being my main objective. What would be the most interesting/picturesque route and would I be best to use my flex pass ‘travel day’? I have an eight day flex pass but my trip is ten days so I need to be selective. I’ve had a quick look and it seems that the rail connections make it well worth using the pass. Would I need to reserve seats? What else should I add to my list while I’m in the area? is there anywhere I can travel to that would be cheap to get to so I can save the pass? I’m heading to Zermatt after.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 February 2020 at 3:14:29 #930538

Hi Susie,

You’ve probably had a look at http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/gettingthere.

”Best” is a subjective term. 😉

Best price would be to go Wengen – Lauterbrunnen – Zweilütschinen – Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg- Jungfraujoch – Kleine Scheidegg- Wengen (or reverse).

Best fun option would be to replace the regular trains between Wengen and Grindelwald with the two cable ways via Männlichen to Grindelwald Grund (or reverse). But the STPF only gets you 50% off the fares for them. Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch is discounted 25% whichever route you choose..

Have a look at this map to help visualise the options.

Anna
    6355 posts
    21 February 2020 at 9:14:02 #930539

Hi Susie new,

In addition to Jungfraujoch, I would also recommend doing the round trip to Schilthorn via Lauterbrunnen and Mürren. The cable car ride to the top of Schilthorn is not free with the SwissTravel Pass Flex but you do get a 50% discount. Details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/schilthorn/gettingthere

Allternatively, I would consider, afteran excursion to Jungfraujoch in the morning, taking the boats on either Lake Brienz or Lake Thun. These are fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (as long as you are travelling on a valid travel day). More information from the following links:

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2020 at 18:04:55 #930540

You said (or reverse). Which direction would you recommend. I will be starting in Wilderswill and skipping Jungfraujoch in late April .

Thanks, Kathy

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2020 at 19:37:41 #930541

Hi Kathy,

I’m not sure it makes a great deal of difference whether you go clockwise or anti-clockwise. I think I prefer to views from the train coming down from Kleine Scheidegg towards Wengen.

The cableway route via Männlichen won’t be an option for you in late April. They’ll be out for maintenance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2020 at 20:05:13 #930542

Thanks Rockoyster,down from KS toward Wengen is what I had planned. Did not want the cable cars anyway. Kathy

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    24 February 2020 at 2:01:08 #930543

Hi Kathy,

We stayed at the Edelweiss last year, it’s great. Here’s the link to the report for this part of our trip to let you know what we got up to:

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/trip-report-day-22-28-montreux-to-wengen

We walked down to Wengen from Klein Scheidegg, it was lovely, but it was early June.

Have a great trip,

Narelle

• The thread ‘Best round trip to Jungfraujoch from Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.