Best Swiss train routes and rail passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 8:51:04 #816574

Hi everyone! Thank you for all the useful tips here. Switzerland is a beautiful country and as much as we want to see everything that it has to offer, our limited budget and time directed us to few places now. I managed to trim down our itinerary and decided to choose quality over quantity. If you may, can you help us plot the best route and which passes should we avail:

Day 1: Transit from Paris to Interlaken Ost via TGV Lyria train

Day 2: Explore Jungfrau region – Lauterbrunnenand, Wengen, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald

Day 3: Transit from Interlaken Ost to Murren

Day 4: Murren

Day 5: Murren to Milan (which is best route and pass)

Thank you and looking forward for your help 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 12:20:49 #888008

Hi Celia O and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the routes between towns and mountains. It gives you the most direct routing by default: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

I’d recommend spending all your nights in Mürren over a stay in Interlaken (much simpler to explore the Jungfrau region from there).

Mürren to Milan will take between 4-6 hours depending on the trains you end up taking. If you have the time to go between Spiez and Brig via Kandersteg it will avoid a long tunnel under the mountains (which while faster is less scenic).

To know which rail pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 0:54:31 #888009

Thank you Lucas! I really appreciate especially the advice about the train between Spiez and Brig as I’ve let go of our plan of riding the Bernina Express train. I hope train and cable rides in Jungfra region will suffice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 5:20:44 #888010

Between the trips around the Jungfrau region and the trip to Milan via Kandersteg I think you’ll be happy for sure.

• The thread ‘Best Swiss train routes and rail passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.