About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Best route by car from Lugano to Verbier
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Best route by car from Lugano to Verbier

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Barbern75
Barbern75
3 posts
Mar 30, 2021 - 8:02 PM

Looking to drive from Lugano to Verbier this coming weekend and wanted to avoid going through Italy if possible. I was thinking to head up to Airolo and across via Realp-Brig-Sion but I’m not sure if the R19 and R9 roads will be fully open to traffic yet so welcome any advice on the best route to take. Thanks

Ildiko
Ildiko
1076 posts
top member &
Mar 31, 2021 - 5:29 AM in reply to Barbern75

Hi Barbern75 and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

The Gotthard Pass is closed until June for sure. You need to use the Gotthard tunnel, but anyway, my recommended route is just as you wrote: Lugano - tunnel - Brig - Sion - Verbier. Make sure you have the motorway vignette.

More practival practical about driving in Switzerland can be found at www.myswissalps.com/car.

Safe drive,

Ildiko

Barbern75
Barbern75
3 posts
Mar 31, 2021 - 6:50 AM in reply to Ildiko

Hi Ildiko, thanks for your reply. Yes we planned to take the car train from Realp to Oberwald avoiding the Furka pass which is also closed until June. Do you know whether the R19 and A9 through the Rhone valley are passable? Thanks

Last modified on Mar 31, 2021 - 6:50 AM by Barbern75
Ildiko
Ildiko
1076 posts
top member &
Mar 31, 2021 - 1:15 PM in reply to Barbern75

Furka Pass is closed too, but the car transport Furka is open all-year-round, so you can use it. You'll find information about the car trains and you'll also find the direct link to the Furka Pass (in the section called Information on other websites" on the right side of the page) at www.myswissalps.com/car/cartrains. Due to Covid, it is recommended to buy your ticket online in advance.

A9 should be fine.

At www.myswissalps.com/car/trafficinfo zoom in on the map. You'll see all detours and roadblocks there - it is a very useful map! :)
Ildiko

Barbern75
Barbern75
3 posts
Mar 31, 2021 - 4:03 PM in reply to Ildiko

Super helpful - thank you!

Ildiko
Ildiko
1076 posts
top member &
Mar 31, 2021 - 7:54 PM in reply to Barbern75

:) I am happy that I could help.

Safe trip, Ildiko

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021