Best route Bern to Montreux with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2019 at 13:11:04 #822846

In early September I’m traveling from Bern to Montreux with the STP. I want to see the country but not stop at every town. Using the advanced timetable, I can see a train that goes to Zweisennmen and goes directly on the same train (it seems) all the way to Montreux. Will I be missing anything by taking that direct train rather than stopping at Zweisennmen and getting on the Golden Pass Epoque train. Maybe you have better suggestions or can correct any confusion I may have. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2019 at 23:56:03 #917763

There are no trains (until new special trains are introduced next year) that run through Zweisimmen. You must change from standard gauge train to the narrow gauge MOB** railway. In your case you can get the direct train Bern – Zweisimmen so change only once. You need to beware that the Bern – Zweisimmen is a train that splits. From Bern it will also have coaches for Brig so you must travel in the correct portion.

** The Golden Pass is the touristic branding for the Montreux – Oberland Bernois (MOB) railway but after a few years of favouring ‘Goldenpass services’, the company decided it was losing its tradition and has reverted to putting the Chemin de Fer Montreux – Oberland Bernois name on publicity and train coaches.

*MOB pioneered the Panoramic coach concept on Swiss trains, starting in 1976.

There are now several versions of panoramic coaches in service, but MOB keeps changing its mind how to dub each service.

It hardly matters anyway as most modern Swiss trains have large windows, even if not officially panoramic. The key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine.

You will get roughly the same scenic experience form any train on the MOB and reservation is not obligatory

Here is the timetable PDF for the MOB:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/120.pdf">filea dmin/fap_pdf_fields/20 19/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 July 2019 at 8:16:04 #917764

1960man,

Thanks for the historical details. And you are a tour guide that goes from Zurich to Mt. Titlis. I’ll look for you!

You said that the train from Bern to Zweisimmen splits. Does that mean some cars go to Brig and some to Zweisimmen? How will I know which cars to sit in? Does that show on the timetable? On the train?

And the field number (train number?) is 471 from Zweisimmen to Montreux, correct?

Thanks so much for your help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 July 2019 at 8:44:05 #917765

Hello Rita,

Thanks for the historical details. And you are a tour guide that goes from Zurich to Mt. Titlis. I’ll look for you!

I think you may be conflating two people. 1960man is the train expert, moderator Steph does the Zurich to Titlis thing. 🤓

The front half of the train (RegioExpress LÖTSCHBERGER) from Bern goes to Brig. The rear half of the train goes to Zweisimmen. It should be clear when you board at Bern. If not ask the conducter or one of the guards on the station.

The train number from Zweisimmen to Montreux are number 21xx and 22xx. Not sure where you got the 471 from.

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 July 2019 at 9:53:55 #917766

Hi Rita!

In addition to the advice that’s been provided, the pages below could be helpful:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 1:10:10 #917767

471 is the Kursbuch number for Topzüge GoldenPass Line, but Rita only needs to look at Kursbuch Table 120 for which I already posted the link.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2019 at 1:24:28 #917768

The two separate units will be clearly labelled at Bern.

However note that not all of the trains departing Zweisimmen are connections off the direct Bern – Zweisimmen services. For other valid connections you would change trains (in the long standing manner) at Spiez.

You can see what the trains look like in my picture taken in April:

Note how the leading part of the train is heading for Brig

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 July 2019 at 2:18:18 #917769

471 is the Kursbuch number for Topzüge GoldenPass Line

I wonder what that means? Looks like some form of footnote referring to a further information box.

Here’s a slightly bigger picture of the BLS RegioExpress Lötschberger for the visually challenged (like me). 😉

• The thread ‘Best route Bern to Montreux with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.