Best route from Morteratsch to Lugano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 8:43:54 #822606

I will travel from Morteratsch to Lugano on August 27, 2019 and will travel from Lugano to Montreux next day. Try to find the best route from Morteratsch to Lugano.

2 options:

1. by Palm Express bus, I have not check the price and timetable.

2. the Bernina Express via Tirano for a beautiful scenery. It takes longer. The earliest train is 9:13 arrival 15:00 via Monza. I do not why it routes via Monza. Is some other way I should enter on the SBB? No ticket price was given unless I login , may be due to route through Monza. SBB also route through Thusis from north, which I think tedious. Which train station should I enter for SBB: Lugano or Lugano FLP? where is Lugano FLP?

Please advise. Thanks.

Also, Please suggest where to go in Lugano for less than 1 day. (late afternoon to next morning). and lodge near either Bus station or train station. I read it is a beautiful place to visit. so try to take advantage of my Swiss Travel pass to travel by rail.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 July 2019 at 12:18:32 #916724

Hi Ning,

The main train station is simply called “Lugano”. Via Monza is quickest, that’s why that route comes up first. You can also travel via the Bernina Express bus from Tirano to Lugano: http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress. This is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, except for the reservation.

For where to go in Lugano, and accommodation suggestions, please find plenty of options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu gano.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 23:29:06 #916725

To be frank I don’t think you’ll get much out of such a short visit to Lugano. Yes it is a beautiful place to visit but you won’t really have time to soak up that beauty in such a short time.

by the way Lugano FLP is the Ponte Tresa railway station – adjacent to Lugano main line railway station

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 23:48:24 #916726

“the Bernina Express via Tirano for a beautiful scenery. It takes longer. The earliest train is 9:13 arrival 15:00 via Monza. I do not why it routes via Monza.”

It routes via Monza because the Italian railway from Tirano to Milano goes via Monza

Unfortunatley there is an annoying gap in the Tirano – Milano service so there is no connection off the earlier Bernina train from Morteratsch.

“SBB also route through Thusis from north, which I think tedious. ”

That can’t be helped – there are mountains in the way… the route via Thusis takes you up to the next best north – south transalpine artery which is the St Bernardino motorway Thusis – Bellinzona

The Palm Express bus is the most direct route, over the Maloja pass. 10.25 from St Moritz daily in summer, reservation obligatory

• The thread ‘Best route from Morteratsch to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.