Best route to Gruyeres by train for a family

• Sarahfaye
    Participant
    10 posts
    24 March 2017 at 1:23:09 #811169

Hello, we are planning a 3 day trip in Switzerland with the following stops:

Day 1: Basel to Broc-Fabrique, staying in Gruyeres

Day 2: Gruyeres to Stechelberg (Schilthorn if weather is good, otherwise Murren, hike etc.)

Day 3: Schilthorn/Murren depending on weather, boat to Thun, Basel and back to our homebase in Germany

It will be busy I know, but my question is about our route to Gruyere…it adds extra time to go through Montreux but we would take that route if someone can confirm that the train ride from Montreux (“the chocolate train route”) is worth it, keeping in mind we are travelling with 3 children aged 14,11 and 9. We will not have any time to stick around Montreux, but perhaps just a café on the waterfront, so I’m sure we will feel like we have to leave before we got started…Are the breathtaking sights around Interlaken alone enough to dazzle us, or should we plan to do the chocolate train route (not the panoramic train due to the cost for a family of 5, but the similar route on regular trains). We will be using a Swiss Travel Pass for the 3 days. Thanks for you input!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2017 at 6:48:58 #860396

Hi Sarahfaye,

I haven’t actually been on the chocolate train but from what I have heard it is a lot of fun (especially for kids!) I don’t think anyone has described the sights around Interlaken breath-taking so no worry there (at least in the town itself, Schilthorn and that area is of course an exception!).

If you are traveling on the Swiss Travel Pass, than there is no extra cost for the Golden Pass panoramic train (just seat reservations which would be a good idea for your family in order to sit together).

Lucas

Annika
    7103 posts
    25 March 2017 at 16:30:41 #860397

Hi Sarahfye,

If I’m correct you’re considering to travel from Basel to Gruyères via Montreux, right? It depends on how you plan your day whether or not this is doable. Yes, the route from Montreux to Broc is certainly beautiful (it’s described here under “Section 3”) but it’s a long detour from Basel; about a 3 hour trip in total. If you’re able to leave early that morning that’s no problem and you’ll still have time to visit the chocolate factory the same afternoon. The timetable will help you out here: enter “Montreux” as your via station between Basel and Gruyères to learn about traveling times and routes.

When will you be traveling? In tourist high season the chocolate factory can get pretty busy, and waiting times may add up to an hour or more. That might be an argument to travel straight from Basel to Broc, as it’s generally less crowded in the early morning.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2017 at 16:32:32 #860398

Hello, Lucas,

Thank you for sharing information and tips!

With reference to the route to Gruyere, may we consult you with the details? We are planning a stopover in Zweisimmen to visit the Gruyere cheese place and the HR Giger Musuem. What is the best way to get there from the Zweisimmen train station?

My brother and I are planning to take our mother on the Golden Pass early this April. We plan to use the Swiss Travel Pass and we will be spending three nights in Switzerland:

Day 0: Arrive in Montreux early evening; stay overnight; Check out the following day and leave the majority of luggage with hotel’s luggage storage room and bring one piece of luggage.

Day 2: Take Golden Pass; “hop off” at Zweisimmen and take the two-hour train rides to Giger Museum suggested to Google maps — Montreux CGN-Broc-Fabrique-Gruyeres and change to Gruyere, gare-Gruyeres ville; after 3 to 4 hours, head back to Zweisimmen and hop back on the Golden Pass until Lucerne; stay overnight;

Day 2: Take Gotthard Panorama (Wilhelm Tell Express) to Lugano; have lunch stopover; take regular train to Montreux; stay overnight;

Day 3: Check out from hotel in Montreux and take regular train to Bern or Basel.

Please share what you think about this planned itinerary. They say the Golden Pass is five hours and has train changes in Zweisimmen and in Interlaken. Where can we check the times of departure in Montreux? in Zweisimmen? Our mother has limited mobility and we may need to hire a taxi or private transport for the stopover. Where may we find possible reliable candidates to hire? How much might these cost (Zweisimmen to Gruyere and Giger and back toe Zweisimmen)?

Thank you very much!

Tortoise

ake regular train to
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 9:26:26 #860399

Hi Tortoise,

I think you mean Day 3 for the Gotthard Panorama Express train? (by the way it is no longer referred to as the Wilhelm Tell Express).

You can search for the train schedules here. Enter Montreux to Zweisimmen and click on the + sign beside the train times you are considering. The Golden Pass trains will show: MOB panoramic or Belle Epoque otherwise they are regular trains. This day (day 2) is quite long so keep that in mind for your mother.

Are you thinking of a taxi service to the HR Giger museum and Gruyere or just within those areas? There is a good page on traveling to/around Gruyere here with info for help with limited mobility. I don’t have specific companies to recommend however.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 10:09:50 #860400

Hello Lucas,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, you are right. Read about them in different sources and glad you clarified that for us.

Thank you for having pointed that out. We have now decided thusly:

Day 1: Arrive in Montreux early evening, stay overnight;

Day 2: Take Golden Pass Line to Lucerne and back to Montreux;

Day 2: Take Golden Pass Line to Zweisimmen, alight and have excursion (looking for car with driver to hire) – Gruyeres Castle, HR Giger Museum and HR Giger Bar (lunch in between); head back to Zweisimmen and take train back to Montreux;

Day 3: Check out from Montreux and take regular train to Basel or Zurich;

What would you suggest on the way back to Montreux on Day 2? Would it be practical to take the same route or need we take another route which might be faster?

Yes, the taxi service in intended for going around the area and to and from the Zweisimmen train station. How advisable would it be or should we think about hiring a car with driver? Would be advisable to let my brother who holds a Philippine driver’s license, drive?

Thank you very much for the Website link you shared. We will enquire with the tourism office for possible transport services, too, tough would appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

We have also been requesting the help of the hotel in Montreux for a company from whom we can rent a wheelchair for our mother for the duration of our stay. In case you can direct us to where we may enquire, we would be truly grateful!

Once again, thank you very much for your kind help!

Best regards,

Tortoise

Arrive in Montreux early evening; stay overnight;
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 14:03:59 #860401

Hi Tortoise,

I think I would take a standard train back to Montreux and not take the Golden Pass twice. You can search for train options using the link I posted on my previous post.

I think I would use trains to get to Gruyere. It would be very expensive to hire a driver or taxi. I would then use taxi’s from Gruyere train station to the different museums/attractions. I think that is the simplest solution.

The hotel in Montreux should be able to help with the wheelchair rental or Tourism Montreux is another good option to contact.

I hope that helps!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 15:59:51 #860402

Hello Lucas,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts on the matter. We’ll check the options from the link you shared for the trip back…

You have a point there regarding the taxi. I shall check the Gruyere train schedules, thank you!

Yes, the hotel sent us the contact number of a nearby hospital. We will need to check for the email address and will definitely contact Tourism Montreux as they may have more experience with such enquiries.

Once again, thank you very much, Lucas! Your inputs have been truly helpful for us…

Best regards,

Tortoise

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2017 at 17:36:02 #860403

Happy to help! Let us know if you have further questions – this is a unique question you have for us!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 13:01:37 #860404

Thank you very much for offering, Lucas. We do deeply appreciate it!

Tortoise

Sarahfaye
    Participant
    10 posts
    30 March 2017 at 18:59:14 #860405

Thanks for your help…perhaps we should reverse our stops…travel to Stechelberg and Schilthorn day 1/2, then catch a late afternoon train on day 2 to Montreux for scenery. If we just wanted to do the “Section 3” part how do I reserve seats and check timetables for Spietz to Zweisimmen, and from Montreux to Gruyeres so we can figure out the most efficient way to do this? We can tour Gruyeres and Broc before headingto Basel . Or would it be better to spend the night of day2 in Montreux instead of Gruyeres? I’m sure someone can recommend a good place for fondue/raclette in Montreux…?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2017 at 7:55:39 #860406

Hi Sarahfaye,

You can make reservations (and see schedules for the Golden Pass trains) with the link I made on my first reply to you. On the bottom of that page is a direct link for Golden Pass reservations.

For other train schedules click here. Unfortunately, I haven’t had fondue or raclette in Montreux so I don’t have a personal recommendation.

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 March 2017 at 11:14:05 #860407

I’ve heard that restaurant “Le Museum” at Rue de la Gare 40 offers good fondue, but I haven’t been there myself. It’s just 5 minutes on foot if you exit the main station through the back (north side) and then turn right.

• The thread ‘Best route to Gruyeres by train for a family’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.