Best scenic hikes in Switzerland

• Sunset
    Participant
    76 posts
    11 May 2023 at 12:36:20 #829824

Hello all, I would appreciate if you could recommend the best scenic hikes in Switzerland. I am trying to plan an itinerary. I would appreciate the times required to complete them as well please.. Thank you to all.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    11 May 2023 at 15:33:44 #954337

Hi Sunset,

Thanks for your question. Would you mind sharing which region of Switzerland you are planning on visiting and hiking in. Also the time of year you are anticipating your visit.

That way, we can guide you better.

Many thanks,

Yolanda

Sunset
    Participant
    76 posts
    11 May 2023 at 19:50:44 #954338

Hi Yolanda,

i am visiting June 19- July3. I will have time to visit the whole Switzerland.

Thank you!

Hughandlisa1
    Participant
    35 posts
    11 May 2023 at 22:54:30 #954339

My son and I been to the Bernese Oberland (BO) and the Valais regions and have hiked extensively there. Starting with Valais, all of the hikes in Zermatt are outstanding. All trails in the Gornergrat are amazing and you could hike all day around there, both alongside the many glaciers and way above them. Simply catch the Gornergrat train and go to the top. Hike above and around the top there and then work your way down. Also, google best hikes Zermatt and you’ll find plenty. There are three main lift/cogwheel stations in Zermatt and there’s fantastic hiking from the top down on all three. You can also traverse some of the mountains and ride up on one lift and down another. Hiking to the Matterhorn climbers hut and back is great.

We also enjoyed the Aletsch Glacier hike and hiked down from the top of the gondola station alongside the glacier for a few miles before looping around to the left back down to the bottom of the valley and train station …an incredible hike

Oeschinensee is also an amazing hike that is assessable out of Interlaken (our base for the BO)…if you’re fit hikers, you can go all the way up to the pass where there’s a mountain hut …we didn’t do that as we got to the lake later than expected …it’s a loop hike high above the lake and then descending down …the views above the lake are breathtaking

Other BO hikes: First to Schynige Platte ; Brienz Rothorn hike …take train to Brienz and ride cogwheel up to Rothorn. Hike along ridge for about 4-5 miles …can’t remember the then where you end up but you’ll descend to the town on a steep gondola and then ride train back to Brienz (about an hour and 15 minutes… train ride is beautiful…you can then take the boat back to Interlaken ; Mannlichen to Kleine Schidegg …at KS, you can hike down to Wengen or hike partly down and then pick up the cogwheel to Wengen and then Lauterbrunnen …at KS, you can also proceed along the Eiger Trail and alongside the Eiger Wall down to Alpiglen where you’ll pick up the cogwheel to Grindelwald ; another great hike (can’t remember name) involves hiking high above Lauterbrunnen to Murren (high route) …you pick up a gondola at Luterbrunnen to the trail head and then take the high route to Murren

These are just a few but each is spectacular and are highly recommended. The BO pass will save you a fortune. It covers everything. We combined it with a Swiss Travel Pass and saved quite a bit of money. In Zermatt, you can buy multiple day lift tickets which include all three gondola and cogwheel stations …the Swiss pass will give you discounts on these two passes which will more than pay for itself and will give you 50% off on train tickets outside those two regions.

Switzerland is amazing. We’ve hiked there twice and will be back soon. If there’s better hiking anywhere else in the world, I’d love to see it.

Anna
    6382 posts
    12 May 2023 at 7:06:38 #954340

Hi Sunset,

Hiking is a popular ‘sport’ in Switzerland so you’ll find trails everywhere.

Here is a good place to start your planning and research: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking

You can use the filters to narrow down your search by region, difficulty and length of hike. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    12 May 2023 at 13:26:26 #954341

It would be helpful to know what range of distances and altitude ascent you prefer or how long you would ideally hike on an ideal day hike.

Mark

• The thread ‘Best scenic hikes in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.