Best scenic route through Switzerland to Venice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 10:48:39 #812656

Hello,

Thank you for all all the information on this website – it is very helpful indeed!

i am traveling with my parents & sister for 10 days to Europe this August. We would be in Paris for 3 nights and then plan to have a one night stop in switzerland to continue to Italy – 2 nights in Venice and 3 nights in rome.

please could you advice the most scenic route from Paris to Switzerland & then from Switzerland to Venice… and where in Swiss should I stay?

After reading various posts I am confused between Lucerene or Chur. Also, which route would be most enjoyable considering I do not want to exert my parents a lot – so not too many transfers would be great!

looking forward to your advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 15:13:12 #867010

Hi Sadhna and welcome to MySwissAlps!

All routes are quite scenic in Switzerland (it is a very scenic country!). The Swiss railways timetable can be used here, and will give you the shortest, most direct routes available.

If you are looking for a nice panoramic train to take though, have a look here to the 4 main panoramic routes Switzerland offers.

A couple of options are available for you:

1. Paris to Zurich to Chur (overnight in Chur).
      Next day take the Bernina Express to Tirano and then an Italian train on to Venice.
    2. Paris to Luzern (1 transfer in Basel probably) and overnight in Luzern.
      Next day take the Gotthard Panorama Express to Lugano (this includes a boat ride as well) and then on to Venice.

These 2 options probably make the most sense in regards to your end destination.

I think Luzern is a nicer, more interesting town than Chur but you don’t have much time to explore anyway and I would choose the Bernina Express over the Gotthard Express if it was me.

You can buy your tickets from France to Switzerland here and tickets for the Gotthard Express here or the Bernina Express here if you want to take one of those trains.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 15:25:54 #867011

Thank you for your prompt reply and for all the details… This indeed helps me a lot and gives me a sense of direction on how to proceed!

will go through all the links you provided and let you know!

thank you so much again,

have a nice day!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 July 2017 at 15:38:00 #867012

I think I will go with the Bernina express and cover the other one during my next visit to switzerland!

I was going through the various booking options – but it doesn’t look like buying a pass would help me in anyways, so I guess I should just take the ticket from Chur to Tirano.

Also is there a big difference in the first and the second class?

And any suggestions if the right or the left side of the train offer better views?

Many thanks in advance!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 July 2017 at 0:36:57 #867013

>> Also is there a big difference in the first and the second class?

This is the description of the difference between first and second class from the Bernina Express website:

In 1st class you benefit from generous space and plenty of leg room. 1st class offers generous, comfortable single and double seats. Thanks to the lower number of passengers per coach, your journey is quieter and more relaxed.

2nd class offers comfortable double seats with sufficient leg room.

http://www.rhb.ch/en/service-souvenirs/contact/freq uently-asked-questions-faqs

>> And any suggestions if the right or the left side of the train offer better views?

Travelling towards Tirano, I prefer to sit on the right, for best views of the Landwasser Viadukt, lakes, glaciers, and the Brusio Viaduct. However, when you reserve your seat, there is no guarantee regarding the direction of travel of the carriages, so you can’t be sure what side of the train your reserved seat will be on. However, if there are vacant unreserved seats, there is no reason you can’t sit in them, instead of in your reserved seat. However, in August it is unlikely there will be vacant unreserved seats.

If you travel instead on the regional trains, reservations are not required, and you can choose where to sit, and move around as the scenery changes.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Best scenic route through Switzerland to Venice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.