Best suitcase sizes for Switzerland and Europe

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 1:47:37 #908562

As our railway stations get upgraded they are putting in lifts. If there, they are not reliably working or the queues are horrendous.

Those hotels you have found look gorgeous. Good finds. Generally a bit above our price range but good finds. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 April 2019 at 2:00:25 #908563

<<“As our railway stations get upgraded they are putting in lifts. If there, they are not reliably working or the queues are horrendous.”>>

Things tend to work in Switzerland. Make do and mend is not an acceptable concept.

Remind me to avoid Sydney for a few years.

Interesting habit at Swiss inns. Mostly, once I have been there a couple of times, they give me the same price as when I first went there. Many years ago. 😉

You should travel there more often.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 2:15:33 #908564

Booking this trip most of the Italian hotels and apartments don’t offer the same conditions as booking.com so I ended up booking a few through them. One place we are staying in for 7 days wanted a non refundable 30% deposit. Booking.com had the same place no deposit. Since I book about 9 months in advance it was a now brainer but I still feel guilty.

But Switzerland was different. The hotels (especially if owner run) offer a better deal and breakfast or taxes or something to book direct. A very nice change so it is worth booking direct as I usually do because I am sure it is better for the hotels themselves.

Sydney is moving with the times, slowly. But I think it will always be make do and mend, if absolutely necessary.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 April 2019 at 2:36:56 #908565

<<“But Switzerland was different. The hotels (especially if owner run) offer a better deal and breakfast or taxes or something to book direct. A very nice change so it is worth booking direct as I usually do because I am sure it is better for the hotels themselves.”>>

Yes. And, they tend to be nice people, struggling with an excessively hard currency and changing travel patterns.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 12:05:08 #908566

Hi Sarahsarah,

I’m from Singapore too, had visited Switzerland last September 2018 for 3 weeks. Except Munich, I had also been to those cities in upcoming trip 🙂 Hence, I may be able to clear your doubts if you would like to meet near a metro station at the western side of Singapore.

I took along a backpack + a 22″ or 24″ luggage to Europe before. Both sizes were just fine for my 1.5m height – to lift-up & carry down of many train trips. If you are much taller than me 😀 and would be doing some shopping in each city/country, a 24″ expandable or 26″ is okay. Would suggest you stick to 2 pieces (backpack + luggage) or less if it’s your first solo trip to Europe.

Best regards,

May @ Singapore

Which month are you travelling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 16:45:43 #908567

Thank you for the useful information

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 16:53:23 #908568

Hi May,

thank you so much for your response.

I will going to Travelling on 16 April.

yup,after read all responses I decidef to carry a small luggage.

mabe will expand with extra luggage on the last day for shopping 😊

thank you anyway

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2019 at 16:57:07 #908569

Thank you everyone,Apprecated very must of your responses and feedback ,all information are very usefull to me.

have a good day!

Sarah

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    9 April 2019 at 13:10:22 #908570

Hi Sarahsarah,

The discussion diverted a bit. Maria’s initial answer gave you the principles.

< my main questions is what is the best size of suitcases that we need >

You will be able to put your luggage on overhead racks (always), between back-to-back passenger seats (see attached photo, in most trains), or on luggage racks at the entrance of the car (often). The French railways have a standard, which you may use as a guideline. The total added lengthe of a suitcase should not exceed 158 cm. That is, length + height + thickness. The key parameter is thickness, so that you can put your suitcase between back-to-back seats. Keep it as slim as possible and in any case less than 35 cm. The space above luggage racks in double-deck cars is also narrow.

In any case, do not put your suitcase on an empty seat, as it may annoy other passengers. The train steward is entitled to charge you an extra ticket if you use a seat for your luggage. Also, do not block the hallway with your luggage.

Your hotel will gladly handle your laundry.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2019 at 13:50:14 #908571

<<“

Your hotel will gladly handle your laundry.”>>

Have you checked the prices for that in a city hotel recently?

Slowpoke

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Best suitcase sizes for Switzerland and Europe’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.