Best suited rail pass for our travel itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2015 at 3:18:27 #807005

Hi,

We are a group of 4 adults and 2 kids aged 8 and 10 travelling to Switzerland in June.

Below is our itinerary. Could you please suggest us the best rail pass for us such that it covers more of the travel.

Day 1

Paris to Lausanne by TGV Lyria
    Laussane to Montreaux
    Montreux to Interlaken by Golden pass.
    Interlaken to lauterbern.

Day 2
    lauterbern to Jungfrau

Day 3
    Travel in the BO region

Day 4
    lauternern-Interlaken-Lucerne

Day5
    Mt.Titlis (travelling with kids will spend the whole day taking all the rides and activities)

Day 6
    Lucerne – Zurich

Thanks in advance for your help.

Preramnan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    23 March 2015 at 10:40:52 #842101

Hi Preramnan,

An 8-day Swiss Travel Pass includes all of the trains in Switzerland, including the Golden Pass line. It provides a 50% discount on the Mount Titlis cable card, and a 25% discount on the Wengen to Jungfraujoch section (the rest of that trip is free). The children travel along for free everywhere. Please see the Swiss Travel Pass page for all the details.

Whether a Swiss Half Fare Card works out cheaper can be calculated as explained here.

The TGV Lyria tickets are explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2015 at 13:58:36 #842102

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your reply.very useful.very much appreciate it.

I have another question.I was trying to look through the golden pass website.with the Swiss pass I understand that we travel free in this scenic train.but do we need to make seat reservations?. Will that have an extra fee?. How many days in advance can we reserve seats?.

when I try looking for that I could see we need to do reservations in two segments,one from Montreux to Zweisimmem and the other from Zweisimmen to Interlaken ost.

Am bit confused on this,do you have any suggestions?.

Thanks in advance,

Preramnan

Arno
    15482 posts
    25 March 2015 at 9:29:30 #842103

Hi Preramnan,

Most trains on the Golden Pass line do not require seat reservations. For some it’s recommended, but not required. Please see here. If you do book seats you’ll pay an extra fee per person. You can already book for June.

• The thread ‘Best suited rail pass for our travel itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.