Best Ticket for Italy – Switzerland – Paris?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2013 at 10:08:08 #805930

Hi,

I have been researching quite a fair bit online with regard to using euorail for my honeymoon trip in May, but I am still rather lost here.

My itineary is as such:
    Rome (3N)
    Florence (3N)
    Venice (2N)
    Zermatt (2N)
    Geneva (1N)
    Interlaken (2N)
    Lucerene (1N)
    Zurich (2N)
    Paris (3N)

Will it be economical to purchase a (1) eurorail select pass for 3 countries within 2 months or (2) eurorail for italy-france pass + swiss pass or (3) P2P.

Bearing in mind that I will be travelling quite often in switzerland and wish to use some of their condolas and well as clog trains for Matterhorn and Top of Europe.

Appreciate if your kind advice please! Thanks much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    16 April 2013 at 6:03:56 #838466

Hi z-cube, and welcome to the forum,

Assuming your longest trips will be the town to town transfers, I would recommend a France – Italy Pass for 4 days and a 6-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. The Swiss Saver Flexi Pass includes the Swiss leg of your inbound trip to Zermatt, the town to town transfers and the Swiss leg of your outbound trip to Paris for free. On the days in between you get a 50% discount on most traveling, including boats, cable cars, etc. Full details and purchase options can be found here. The France – Italy Pass can be purchased along with the
    Swiss Saver Flexi Pass.

There is no Eurail Select Pass that includes France.

I hope this helps you to decide. If you have further questions, please let us know where you are from as available passes and prices depend on the country of residence.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2013 at 11:47:17 #838467

Hi, thank you for your reply!

I have done a more detailed reserch on Swiss and would like to propose the following itinerary:

10 May 2013 Venice to Interlaken 11 May 2013 Interlaken Mt. Titlis 12 May 2013 Interlaken *Lake Brienz (East), Burnese Alps & Lake Thun (West) 13 May 2013 Interlaken Lucerne, Lion Monument, Chapel Bridge 14 May 2013 Interlaken Top of Europe (Jungfrau) 15 May 2013 Interlaken – Murren Lauterbrunnen Area – Lauterbrunnen Valley waterfalls, Trummelbach Falls, Staubbach Fall 16 May 2013 Murren Murren Area – Schilthorn & Piz Gloria 17 May 2013 Murren classic easy hike from Maennlichen to Kleine Scheidegg 18 May 2013 Murren to Lausanne Grindelwald Area – First, Maennlichenbahn Grindelwald 19 May 2013 Lausanne Cathedrale de Lausanne, Corniche Lavaux Vineyards, Chateau de Chillon 20 May 2013 Lausanne – Paris Notre Dame, Pompidou Centre, Pantheon, Latin Quarter & Luxembourg Gardens
    Questions:
    1. Should I get a 3 days swiss flexi pass to cover my day trips out to Mt. Titlis, Lucerne and Lausanne? or Should I get a 5 days swiss flexi to incude my inbound trip from Venice and outbound trip to Paris?
    2. Since I have quite a number of days in BO area (including staying at Murren for 3 nights), do I need to purchase the regional BO pass to enjoy cheaper transport in the region? Or the swiss felxi pass will be good enough to enjoy the discounts in the lifts and rides? Does the regional pass consist of free travelling up to Top of Europe and the respective mountains?
    For your valuable advice please.

Arno
    15482 posts
    25 April 2013 at 14:40:55 #838468

Hi z-cube,

Thanks for getting back here. The Eurail France-Italy Pass is still a good idea, but with so much focus on the Bernese Oberland I would choose the 8-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. Please check its page for details and a map of what’s included. It includes free traveling on many cable cars as well. Top of Europe/Jungfrau is discounted. You do need connecting tickets in and out of the region but the majority of your stay is covered. You can get the pass here.

Since your travel date is closing in: please be aware that the passes need to be shipped to you. How much time it takes depends on where you live, and you can get an estimate on that on all our pass pages.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2013 at 19:18:15 #838469

Hi z-cube,
    please be aware that the gondola to Maennlichen from Grindelwald is not open until 1st June and the cablecar to Maennlichen from Wengen opens on the 18th May so if you want to hike from there to Kleine Scheidegg you will have to adjust your plans a bit in order to do it. Check weather conditions and the conditions on the trail at the tourist office in Wengen before you set off. I hope you make it as it is a beautiful hike.
    Maggie

• The thread ‘Best Ticket for Italy – Switzerland – Paris?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.