Best tickets for Interlaken/Lucerne with a car?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2019 at 7:50:57 #821073

Hi,

I am driving to Lucern with my family with 2 kids for 3 days. As I dont need train tickets to reach there, I am looking for the best train ticket option to visit Jungfrau, grindelwald?

Thanks for the help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    19 April 2019 at 12:52:56 #909774

Hello MMajid, and thanks for joining MySwissAlps! It’s hard to tell which pass is best without knowing the details of your itinerary. Generally, a Swiss Half Fare Card is recommended for car drivers: myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard. If you have doubts, this page explaining how to pick the best pass or tickets may be helpful: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Please make sure you’re well prepared when driving in Switzerland and read about necessary skills and traffic regulations at myswissalps.com/car.

Enjoy your preparations and your stay in Switzerland!

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    19 April 2019 at 20:31:04 #909775

You should tell us when your trip is, as the time of year determines what you can and can’t do, especially at higher altitudes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2019 at 20:38:08 #909776

Thanks, I will visit from 2-5 May. I will stay in Lucerne on 2nd and other two days in Inerlaken. Do I need to take tickets online or I can just buy from the station when I arrive in lucerne?

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    19 April 2019 at 20:53:50 #909777

Very early May in the Jungfrau region limits what you can do. Aside from “visiting” Jungfrau, grindelwald, you haven’t said what kinds of activities you plan to do. For example if hiking is in your plans, early May might be problematic at these higher altitudes. Read the following thread for a discussion of hikes and limitations.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/lauterbrunne n-may-16-25th-walking-trails-open

As for tickets, you can buy them at train stations. Just be sure to scope out ticket prices in advance. For example the Jungfrau trip to the top can cost $200 round trip pp. Annika gave you a good link above to learn about travel passes. The Swiss Half Fare Card can potentially save you money.

• The thread ‘Best tickets for Interlaken/Lucerne with a car?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.