Best time for landscape photogrraphy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2015 at 20:16:36 #843464

Hi Arno,

I wrote to the email id present in the link for Fluhalp but they wrote back that it can not be booked online and have asked me to call and book with them directly. I did so and was asked the credit card details to block the bed but I am little averse of sharing the credit card details over the phone. What can I do in this case?

I am also little bit concerned about the hiking alone at night or in the early morning to do night-astro and Sunrise photography at Stellisee to and from Fluhalp hut. Is it safe to do this alone at these times? I do not have a company as the family will be staying in the apartment in Zermatt town.

I was thinking of travelling from Lucern to bellinzona by train after checking out and visit the castles there. But to do this, I will have to leave the luggage at the train station lockers. Is this facility available in bellinzona? Any more details wrt to availability, price is appreciated. On return take the postbus to chur. Is this plan looking fine?

I have also been reading the weather predictions in areas like Zermatt, grindelwald, Jungfrau etc.. and I am worried to see that there are chances of thunderstorm and rain during my time of visit to Swiss 🙁 How true are these predictions? What can be done to make the best of time in case of bad weather?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2015 at 20:34:04 #843465

<<“will have to leave the luggage at the train station lockers. Is this facility available in bellinzona? “>>

ere are some data for Bellinzona.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/railway-stations/bahnhof-finden.posid.5213.html

under the heading Equipment,

on a tab ,

you can find 48 small and 24 large lockers.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2015 at 21:53:51 #843466

Thank you Slowpoke ! Any idea whether these rates per hour? and about timings as well. I can see that its written 7*24-Std under the ‘Opening Times’. What does it mean?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2015 at 22:41:32 #843467

<<“I did so and was asked the credit card details to block the bed but I amlittle averse of sharing the credit card details over the phone. What can I do in this case?”>>

Well, once you have been there, they will have the credit card details anyway.

Just a thought.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2015 at 22:47:11 #843468

<<“Thank you Slowpoke ! Any idea whether these rates per hour? and about timings as well. I can see that its written 7*24-Std under the ‘Opening Times’. What does it mean?”>>

The rates are typically per 24 hour period. In most stations, after a certain time, the bags are removed and transferred to “left luggage” so that transient users can have a locker for a short time.

Sorry for the German. It is useful in Switzerland.

Die Stunde is the hour.

Abbreviated Std.

That means that the station and lockers are accessible 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2015 at 9:23:12 #843469

As far as I can remember the trail from the hut to the lake is easy and less than 1 km. Still I would not do it alone in the dark. I would at least like someone with me, plus a good flashlight, and of course be certain that the weather would remain fine. As soon as there’s some daylight it’s no problem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2015 at 16:02:06 #843470

I agree with you Arno. Having a company is anytime preferred but the fact is since I am with family they would be based in Zermatt town whereas the photographer in me wants to have a go at it. If I know what are the possible risks, I can be prepared! So please feel free to share the areas of concerns if i have to hike alone.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 August 2015 at 16:43:28 #843471

My concern when doing this alone in the dark is that it’s easy to twist your ankle or worst-case: drop off a cliff. I don’t remember the trails there in such detail that I can truly estimate the real risk. But in general mountainous terrain is just not the best place to move around when you can’t see anything. If you indeed plan to do this in the dark I would suggest to check in with the hut early and walk over there in day time first. Once you know the trail you’ll probably manage at night too. Do bring a good flashlight!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2015 at 17:00:16 #843472

I belong to REGA, an inexpensive helicopter rescue insurance organization.

I joined upon the advice of 2 Swiss friends. Those friends, both experienced hikers, fell on the trail and broke their ankles. Simple, good trails, not technical climbing. They simply missed a step.

REGA picked them up and took them to hospital. All for an annual fee of about $30 -35.00 USDollars.

http://www.rega.ch/en/about-us.aspx

When I bring relatives to Switzerland, I buy them a REGA membership.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2015 at 22:22:49 #843473

Thank you for the info.

One more question – the type of warm clothing required. Apart from the night time at Stellisee, We will be doing the daytime trips to Jungfrau, titlis, rothorn etc… What kind of warm clothing should I carry? I have options to carry – Merino wool base layer, fleece jacket, down jacket, woolen beenie. Of these I am definitely taking fleece. Pl suggest if i shd carry the other two as well.

I hv been looking at temperatures but your valuable advice would help me not carry unnecessary weight.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 August 2015 at 4:51:05 #843474

Hi Bhavin,

It’s still Summer, you don’t need very warm clothes for trips during daytime. They expect temperatures of 30 C for the coming days, for example. Use multiple thinner layers as explained on myswissalps.com/ weather, and be prepared for rain. That way you can adapt by the day, or even the hour.

Viewing 11 posts - 21 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • The thread ‘Best time for landscape photogrraphy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.