Best time to visit Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2020 at 10:29:57 #825552

sir, i would like to visit switzerland for four days from india alongwith my family of wife and daughter. what is the best time for the visit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    20 May 2020 at 12:25:55 #932457

I went early September and it was beautiful. Perfect weather and the crowds were manageable.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    20 May 2020 at 12:34:05 #932458

I am also from India. I visited in May. The reasons were obvious : Kids were having summer vacation. Being Spring I could see snow. Being a shoulder season prices were reasonable. Also weather was pleasant. It was like mild winter in India temperature about 10-15 C in Interlaken and other places except mountain tops

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 May 2020 at 12:49:49 #932459

Hi Ashis63g –

Welcome to the Forum.

You may find the information in this section of the site to be helpful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland.

Particularly:

http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit

My own pattern is to visit in September and late May. All of September usually has the best balance of good weather and reduced tourist density. The high Alps are still nice through most of the month, and tourist facilities in the Alps only begin to close down a bit late in the month or in October.

Late May and early June are quite nice at the lower altitudes, but the higher elevations may still have of snow blocking parts of the trails in April, and part of May, though skiing conditions are not good. So, many facilities in the high Alps take a between seasons break in April and May, and even early June. Parts of trails can be open. Cableways to higher altitudes generally don’t eopen for hikers until early to mid-June.

So, I don’t go up in the Alps on my Spring visit.

You might take a look at some webcams to get an idea of alpine conditions:

en.swisswebcams.ch/kategorien

en.swisswebcams.ch/suche/ort/jungfraujoch-8469019/

Slowpoke

Slowpoke.

Shroffchetan
    Participant
    255 posts
    20 May 2020 at 13:07:19 #932460

@Slowpoke you are right that most of hiking trails are closed in May. This is my experience and I may be wrong in case of Ashis63g. But most of Indian tourists visit Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken, Jungfraujoch and Mt Titlis which are very popular among Indian tourists. Usually he visits as part of group tour or / and combines his Switzerland trip with Paris / Rome / Innsbruck. Switzerland became dream destination in India due to one legendary Indian filmmaker namely Mr Yash Chopra. An average Indian grows watching his romantic movies and scenic Switzerland. Sorry to go a bit offtrack from the object of this blog, but just wish to give information about profile of an average Indian traveller visiting Switzerland. But I may be wrong in case of Ashis63g

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 May 2020 at 13:11:23 #932461

Thanks-

Good point about May. And, as you point out, different visitors have different interests.

So, best for me may not be best for someone else.

The question

<<“what is the best time for the visit?”>>

is easier to answer when you know someone’s interests.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 May 2020 at 14:44:16 #932462

I should have added these suggestions from the forum rules:

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/rules

<<“Please provide enough information. For example: the question “What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?” can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.;”>>

It would be helpful to know the child’s age.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2020 at 20:44:21 #932463

Hi Ashis63g,

right, could you tell us a bit more information? What are your preferences?

I, personally love January and April but also September, October and December.

My experience is that January is usually sunny and cold, a great time for skiing. In April and May I love the flowers (although it rains a bit more in April). September is great because of the weather and in October I love colourful forests. As I am a huge fan of Christmas markets, I like December too.

Oh, I forgot to mention the summer months, when we can bath in Lake Geneva and also go for smaller hikes with my kids. 🙂

I recommend you browse this http://www.myswissalps.com/activities. It will help you decide what to do here.

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Best time to visit Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.