Best time to visit Switzerland for Photography

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2014 at 11:06:44 #806312

Hello ! Im planing to visit Switzerland this year and i want to know the best time to visit there for Landscape Photography. I love to see Snow capped mountains + Green grass + Clear blue skies. (I know weather is bit unpredictable there ). I believe September is good but can we see snow mountains in that time ? My other option is June, But June would be nice for Photography and mountain would be visible and will have clear blue skies like in September ? Thank You 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    17 April 2014 at 9:15:50 #839756

Hello nuwanSL,

I’ve been in Switzerland many times, in all seasons, mainly summer and autumn. We were lucky: our vacations were never ruined by bad weather. I prefer landscape photography. You can make good landscape pictures in all seasons, but during the summer months there may be more haze. Depending on your location you can see snow covered mountains at all times. Especially the Jungfrau area is beautiful.

Have a nice time with good photographic results!

Wandermann

PS. For your information: “Switzerland miscellaneous” is the better place for this topic.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 April 2014 at 10:31:23 #839757

Hi,

@Wandermann: Thanks, I have moved this topic to the Miscellaneous forum.

@nuwanSL: Winter has been very warm this year, so there may be less snow than normal in June. But this depends on where you go. There has been lots of snow fall in the Engadine (St. Moritz), so June might be a very good time for photography this year in that area.

Also this page is useful: myswissalps.com/ besttimetovisit

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2014 at 11:17:41 #839758

Anytime, anywhere

You can visit Switzerland in all seasons in just one day.

However, I did plan months in advance to be on top of Pilatus for the Supermoon and it was snowing there on that June night so no moon. I did go on to Zermatt later and got the moon with the Matterhorn.

Switzerland has a Kodak moment every moment, day and night. I even took some nice shots in the rain in Zurich and Kloten. I am going in June again this year. I may try another month next time I go.

Just roll with the flow and enjoy shooting. Have fun.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 April 2014 at 11:31:30 #839759

Thanks for posting SwissEd! You are so right, one never knows about the weather in the Alps. I have had a snow storm in the town of Davos in June… If you have time after your trip, it would be great to see a few of your pictures in the Trip Reports section.

@all: just as an example, this picture was taken in early June, on the slopes above Engelberg. More pictures are here, and all over the website actually.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2014 at 13:42:37 #839760

Hi Everyone,
    Really appreciate your information and help. Thank You 🙂

Actually i haven’t decided exactly locations but i will be there like 10 days and i have to plan my trip, I found Grindelwald, Bernese Oberland, Jungfrau area beautiful for photography. Please check these few photos, This is exactly what i want see 🙂

1. Photo 1 , 2. Photo 2 , 3. Photo 3 , 4. Photo 4

I prefer September, Coz there will be some haze in June / July / Aug right ? but can we
    see some snow covered mountains/green meadows like these photos in September ?

Thanks again.
    Suranga

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 April 2014 at 11:04:24 #839761

Hi Suranga,

The Jungfrau region is indeed amazing for photography and lots of other activities too. Your sample pictures show what you can expect there, except picture 3 because that’s the Glacier Express which does not operate in the region. June will have greater chances of more snow, September will have greater chances of clear skies. The highest mountains have snow covered peaks all year round. But these are all averages. It depends on the weather in the season and more important: on the day you’re there.

• The thread ‘Best time to visit Switzerland for Photography’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.