Best town for Swiss National Day

• Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    5 May 2018 at 16:49:25 #815745

Last year I was in Lauterbrunnen for Swiss National Day August 1; the fireworks were launched from Staubbach falls directly over my tent, it was awesome! This year I had been planning on Zermatt since they seem to have some sort of “street party” on July 31 and then fireworks on the 1st, but since I don’t care all that much for visiting Zermatt I was wondering what other town puts on a good celebration? Not a major city like Zurich .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    6 May 2018 at 5:36:56 #884295

I was in Zermatt 2014 for Swiss National Day and it was so much fun! Great street food, tables up and down the street with much singing and dancing. And the fireworks were fantastic. What an experience!

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    6 May 2018 at 14:44:38 #884296

Ok so zermatt it is then!

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    6 May 2018 at 20:10:50 #884297

You won’t regret it!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    6 May 2018 at 23:20:07 #884298

Hello,

You said << I don’t care all that much for visiting Zermatt >> and then << so zermatt it is >>. Rather puzzling to me. Are you interested in other suggestions or is it Zermatt ?

Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    7 May 2018 at 3:45:08 #884299

Hi Peterli, what I meant was there isn’t anything about Zermatt in particular I’m interested in visiting this trip other than the holiday celebration. I’m sure there are other local activities in other regions that forum members have experienced, like the previous poster had described. I thought I’d ask if there were any suggestions on where the best celebration is; it’s not that I’ve had my heart set on Zermatt for any other reason. Sort of like where would you want to be if you had your choice of locations for the 4th of July in the US. Some areas throw more of a party than others.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 May 2018 at 6:52:51 #884300

Hello again,

If you read French, you might find this article interesting: http://www.rtn.ch/rtn/Actuali te/Region/20160730-Ou-celebrer-le-1er-aout-dans-le-canton-de-Neuchatel.html It is from 2016 but it shows you the many things that go on, and not just on one day, in the canton of Neuchâtel. Neither the city of Neuchâtel nor La Chaux-de-Fonds are large cities, but they certainly know how to party.

I attach a video taken from above Gléresse on the slopes of Lace de Bienne showing all the boats going down to the south-west end of the lake to watch the fireworks in Neuchâtel, which is a very short distance away. youtu.be/KNcVJJ-9JEA

• The thread ‘Best town for Swiss National Day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.