Best train from Lake Como to Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 22:22:52 #816123

Hi. I am a solo traveler travelling from Lake como to Zurich in July.

I’m wondering which train is best for me. Do I catch the EC that comes from Milan or do I go to Lugano and catch the IC.

Wondering if the EC might be already quite full when it gets to como and be more difficult to find a place for luggage.

Where the IC leaves from Lugano so I will be first on the train.

Thanks

Jason

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 May 2018 at 22:29:26 #885914

Hello Jason and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Do you want speed or scenery? If the latter then consider the Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 23:20:44 #885915

Hi. At this stage I’m looking at speed as this is my first day in Switzerland and I’m travelling to Zurich to meet someone. I will have plenty of time for scenery over the following week.

More concerned about space for luggage that I can keep an eye on so thought the swiss train over the Eurocity might be my best bet.

Thanks again

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 May 2018 at 8:42:16 #885916

Hi Jason,

Those trains can indeed get quite full at times. They’re designed for long distance travelers with luggage, so I wouldn’t worry about it. I would probably pick a direct train and book a seat reservation. But Como it close to the Swiss border so there are indeed other options too if you don’t mind one or two changes. The timetable will tell you where to change. Could be Chiasso, Lugano or Bellinzona. Sometimes an additional change in Arth-Goldau.

Please see:

Have a good trip!

• The thread ‘Best train from Lake Como to Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.