Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Best travel pass for Bernese Oberland from Zurich

Best travel pass for Bernese Oberland from Zurich

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Clruchte
Clruchte
1 post
Jan 30, 2020 - 8:45 PM

We are booked on a self guided trip for 7 nights/8days starting on Sept. 24. We arrive in Zurich and then need to make our way via train to Murren where we will stay for 2 nights. Then our luggage will be moved for us to Wengen. We will make our way to Wengen via hiking. Once in Wengen we will stay for 2 nights and then again our luggage will be moved for us to Grindelwald and we will get there via hiking. Finally we will stay in Grindelwald for 3 nights and then we need to take the train back to Zurich to catch our flight. My question is what type of travel pass would work best that would include the trains to Murren and from Grindelwald back to Zurich and then the cable cars, funiculars, gondolas, local trains, etc in the towns we are staying in . Thanks so much. This will be our first trip to Switzerland and it seems very tedious to figure out the transportation.

Ildiko
Ildiko
990 posts
top member &
Jan 30, 2020 - 9:05 PM in reply to Clruchte

Hi Clruchte and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Great that you are coming to Switzerland, I am sure you will enjoy hiking in the Jungfrau region (www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion).

Are you going to use the luggage service of SBB (www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage)?

For the first sight I would say that you should check the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland and the Jungfrau Travel Pass, although none of them includes the whole route to and from Zurich. You can see the validity map of these two passes at www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/validity and www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity.

To make sure you choose the best rail pass for your holiday I suggest you to use the guide and the calculation spreadsheet at www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. The downloadable spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it's valid" page for all available passes, be sure to study it carefully.

Let me know if you need further help with the spreadsheet.

Below are some useful links for your upcoming trip:

rockoyster
rockoyster
8888 posts
expert
Jan 30, 2020 - 9:45 PM in reply to Clruchte

Get a Saver Day Pass each for Zurich to Mürren and from Grindelwald to Zurich.

Then look at the Swiss Half Fare Card to see if it is worth getting based in the number of cable car trips you will take in the Jungfrau Region. It will also reduce the cost of your Saver Day Passes.

For checking timetables see www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables.

You might find this document of value. Some of the links are outdated but the overall information remains current.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020