Best travel pass for public transport Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
nedian15
nedian15
8 posts
Mar 19, 2018 - 10:48 AM

Dear Fellows,

I am on a 3 day trip to Switzerland from Apr 7 till 10th, 2018.

I have a family of 2 Adults and 3 young children (2, 6, 9)

Plans are as follows:

Arriving at Zurich Main Station HB at 5 pm on April 7

Straight travel to Lucerne where we have hotel booked for 3 nights.

we want to do Rigi and other day trips excursions on 8th & 9th April.

On 10th Morning, we can roam around in Lucerne and later in the evening, have to catch a train to zurich airport to catch our 9 PM flight to back home.

Please advise which train ticket should we buy for our family that can cover day trips for 8th and 9th as well.

any help would be much appreciated!

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Mar 19, 2018 - 1:45 PM in reply to nedian15

Hello nedian15, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

You might want to have a look at the Tell-Pass Summer and for your two oldest kids at the Tell-Pass for children.

You should also read our page on how to choose the best rail pass: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Last modified on Mar 20, 2018 - 3:15 PM by Chantal
nedian15
nedian15
8 posts
Mar 20, 2018 - 6:19 AM in reply to Chantal

hi Chantal,

MAny thanks!

We looking at having a day trip to Rigi Mountains on April 8th and a day trip to Interlaken (Golden something) on April 9th. Would you still suggest Tell PAss Summer for us?

Consider we also have a train transfer from Zurich Main station to Lucerne on the day 0 which is 7th APril and a return journey from Lucerne to zurich airport on April 10th evening.

your help would be much appreciated.

nedian15
nedian15
8 posts
Mar 20, 2018 - 8:13 AM

A quick calc:

Option - 1: One-way (Zur HB - Luzerne / Apr 7 evening) = CHF 78; Swiss Travel Pass (3 Days) for 2 adults = CHF 448 ===== Total of CHF 526.

Option - 2: One-way (Zur HB - Luzerne / Apr 7 evening) = CHF 78; Tell-Pass Summer (2 Days) for 2 adults = CHF 360, One way (Luzerne - ZUR A'port / Apr 10 Evening) = CHF 90 === Total of CHF 528

PLease advise if I did above calc. right ; so that I can choose one....

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Mar 20, 2018 - 1:16 PM in reply to nedian15

Hi Nedian,

You calculation for option 1 seems ok. For your second option you took the first class price for the Tell-Pass Summer (second class would be CHF 218,-) and I think you forgot to include the 2 Tell-Passes for children (CHF 60,-).

Both Rigi and the Golden Pass are free with both passes.

Last modified on Mar 20, 2018 - 3:17 PM by Chantal
nedian15
nedian15
8 posts
Mar 20, 2018 - 6:04 PM

Hi Chantal

i think I have incorrrectly taken into account a single fare from Zurich HB to lucerne in option 1 as well; if I start Swiss travel pass 3 days one right upon my arrival at HB station; I can still use the same till the end of my trip which is on April 10 @ 4 pm

is above correct?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Mar 20, 2018 - 7:21 PM in reply to nedian15

Unfortunately not. Once your Swiss Travel Pass is valid, you can use it for the number of days you purchased it for. The time of validation is not relevant. Read more about how to use the Swiss Travel Pass here: www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/howtouse.

nedian15
nedian15
8 posts
Mar 20, 2018 - 7:25 PM in reply to Chantal

Is this Swiss travel pls for 3 days not valid for complete 3 days?

i start it on April 7 @ 1800 hrs and right before the end end of third day , I can use it again latest by 4 pm 10 April!

is above not correct?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Mar 20, 2018 - 7:57 PM in reply to nedian15

As per my previous post, this is not correct. April 7 will be your first day, April 8 your second and April 9 your third. Validity ends on 5:00 AM of the day following the last day and you would like to use it until 4 PM. Is the information on our webpage not clear?

nedian15
nedian15
8 posts
Mar 21, 2018 - 6:17 AM

Dear

sonuiu are saying Swiss travel pass once first used, it gets counted from that day.

i better off having one way fromHB main station to lucerne and then conitune with Swiss pass 3days one for the rest of my stay in Switzerland.

Lucas
Lucas
9613 posts
expert &
Mar 21, 2018 - 6:27 AM in reply to nedian15

Yes, I would buy a ticket to Lucerne on your arrival and then have your Swiss Travel Pass start April 8. You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass online here and have it emailed to you at home for printing (very convenient!).

nedian15
nedian15
8 posts
Mar 21, 2018 - 12:01 PM

Thanks Lucas!

I am yet to figure out - which one is better - Swiss TP or TellPass?

nedian15
nedian15
8 posts
Mar 21, 2018 - 12:28 PM in reply to Chantal

I considered CHF 180 each TellPass (Summer) and for 2 adults, I took the total price of CHF 360 in my calc.

@ Chantel: From CHF 218, did you mean 1 or 2 tell passes? And where can I see this Price of CHF 218?

Lucas
Lucas
9613 posts
expert &
Mar 21, 2018 - 12:53 PM in reply to nedian15

Hi Nedian15,

the 2nd class, 2 day Tell Pass - Summer should be 180chf per adult. You can find prices and retailers to buy it online here.

Choosing between the Swiss Travel Pass and Tell Pass will depend on your needs (where you are traveling primarily). Check out the where it's valid tab for both passes on the links below:

Tell Pass - Validity
Swiss Travel Pass - Validity

Last modified on Mar 21, 2018 - 12:55 PM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018