Best use of 1 Eurail pass day in Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2015 at 5:04:00 #807993

Hi

I am hoping someone can help me to decide which of Titlis or Pilatus would I use my one remaining rail pass day for whilst we are in Lucerne.

By way of background, we are using the France – Swiss 5 day pass and will have used 3 days when we reach Lucerne. Am saving the last day for Bernina Express. We will be travelling to Lucerne on the Golden Pass train and will have the opportunity to use the pass to spend some time on Lake Lucerne the day we arrive.

So. It seems that if With regard to Pilatus, if we were to do the Golden Round trip for a visit to Pilatus I only save 30% of the cost of the cable car leg – not that much. Given that we’ll have had some time on the lake, perhaps the Silver Round trip offers better value for me, or would I be better off just breaking the trip down and “building” my own.

With regard to Titlis it seems that the pass would allow me free travel on train to Engelberg and then 50% off the Cable car.

On the face of it the Titlis trip seems to offer better value. I am keen to do both though, hence my dilemma/question above, how to use 1 Pass Day but do both trips at least overall cost.

Thank you for any suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    26 September 2015 at 16:22:37 #846330

Hi pstaff,

You’re right about the discount percentages. Another factor to consider is traveling time: Pilatus can easily be reached from Lucerne, whereas the Titlis requires an additional train ride. Please refer to http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere, http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis/gettingthere and the timetable. You don’t necessarily have to make one of the round trips to Pilatus. It’s easy to create your own route, and a boat ride doesn’t have to be included. If you can’t decide between Pilatus and Titlis don’t mind a long travel day, you’d even manage to visit both in one day.

There’s no easy alternative to get more discount than your Eurail France-Switzerland Pass offers. There is a 2 day Tell Pass that offers free rides to both mountains, but in most cases it’s not economical to buy an additional regional pass if you already own a rail pass that provides discounts. You could make calculations as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 September 2015 at 18:06:34 #846331

Thank you Annika. I will sleep on it and see how we feel when we get to Lucerne tomorrow. The weather may be a factor in our decision.

Paul

• The thread ‘Best use of 1 Eurail pass day in Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.