Jungfrau region, Swiss Travel Pass free viewpoints

• Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    6 July 2017 at 7:28:32 #812536

Hi!

Would like to find out where are the best viewpoints in Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen and Grindelwald in late February. We plan to spend an afternoon roaming these towns with our Swiss Travel Passes to enjoy the villages in the Alps. We prefer not to go up to peaks where we have to pay. So far the plan is Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Murren – Wengen – Grindelwald – Interlaken.

Also, any recommendations on where we may have a not-too-expensive dinner in Grindelwald (This is probably a tough one :-))? Or is there a not-too-cold place to enjoy scenery and have a simple dinner bought from COOP?

Thanks a million!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2017 at 9:49:55 #866347

>> Would like to find out where are the best viewpoints in Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen and Grindelwald in late February.

Lauterbrunnen – anywhere in the valley really. You can walk along the path through the valley if it is clear of snow, or get the Stechelberg bus from Lauterbrunnen station and get off anywhere you like.

Mürren – anywhere along the road between the railway station and the Stechelberg cable car (which are at opposite ends of the village). You can go up from Lauterbrunnen by cable car and train, walk through the village (about 20 minutes), then go back by cable car to Stechelberg and bus to Lauterbrunnen (or vice versa).

Wengen – lookout near the Swiss Protestant Church (see attached map, and photo taken from there in February 2014)

Grindelwald – I don’t know of any specific viewpoint. If no-one else comes up with a better idea, you could just walk up the main street from the station; or take Bus 121 to Oberergletscher and get out at any stop along the way that takes your fancy. This bus climbs above the village. I expect you would have to wait at least an hour for a return bus though.

>> We plan to spend an afternoon roaming these towns with our Swiss Travel Passes to enjoy the villages in the Alps. We prefer not to go up to peaks where we have to pay. So far the plan is Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Murren – Wengen – Grindelwald – Interlaken.

If you are only allocating one afternoon to this, you might have trouble fitting it all in before sunset around 6pm. Travel times alone will take almost 3 hours without allowing for walking and sightseeing. You can use the Swiss Timetable to plan it out:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    6 July 2017 at 11:19:20 #866348

Thanks a lot, Alpenrose666.

Perhaps we will do Grindelwald and First in the afternoon. Lauterbrunnen – Murren – Wengen the next day? We have time till 2pm on the 2nd day.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 July 2017 at 13:24:34 #866349

You can consider lunch at the Winteregg restaurant. There’s a train stop right next to the restaurant (free with Swiss Travel Pass), or you can walk there from Grütschalp or Mürren. I’m 99% sure they’re open in winter too, but they’ll close in low season I think.

http://www.restaurant-winteregg.ch

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2017 at 4:49:36 #866350

>> Perhaps we will do Grindelwald and First in the afternoon.

You did mention that you only wanted viewpoints that were free with the Swiss Travel Pass. First is a wonderful viewpoint, but is not free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You will get a 50% discount though.

>> Lauterbrunnen – Murren – Wengen the next day? We have time till 2pm on the 2nd day.

The Swiss Timetable will help you to work out what you can fit in. (A link to it is above.)

Alpenrose

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    7 July 2017 at 14:00:15 #866351

HI Alpenrose666. As I read on about Switzerland, more and more places pop up that we wish to visit. First Cliff Walk is one of them. Good to know there’s a 50% discount to it though 😉 Today I was happy to read Mt Pilatus is free, except for the winter activities, though Half Fare Card holders seem to get a discount. Really appreciate all the help I’m getting here and please bear with me if my itinerary keeps changing:-) Switzerland just have so much to offer and we’ve too little time.

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 July 2017 at 15:26:34 #866352

Hi Uallin,

Sorry to inform you that Mount Pilatus is no longer free next year. However, the Schilthorn will be free by then. Please see: myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/swiss-travel-system-changes-in-2018.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    7 July 2017 at 16:27:16 #866353

Hi Arno. Thanks for the update! Thankfully the trade-off is free up to Schilthorn, otherwise Mt Pilatus’ charge would have been a huge letdown. I noticed the STP prices are also going up. I wonder can we buy them in December before the price hike but use in Feb? Thanks again!

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 July 2017 at 6:57:42 #866354

Hi Uallin,

Yes, you can buy your passes early. Some websites will charge the new price if the start date is in 2018, others do not. So I recommend to compare the websites listed on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price once you’re ready to buy. Also check the Promotions tab regularly as there might be a promotion you can take advantage of. That usually saves you more than the few percents of price increase.

• The thread ‘Jungfrau region, Swiss Travel Pass free viewpoints’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.