Best way to go from Winterthur to Jungfraujoch

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
HF6978
HF6978
5 posts
Sep 2, 2018 - 8:36 PM

Hi,

I am planning to visit to Jungfraujosh Mountain from Winterthur in one day during my travel to Switzerland (timeline: 10/8-10/13/19, a little too early but want to get it done). What's the best way get there? Tour, Train, Rail, Bus? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PP

Lucas
Lucas
9632 posts
expert &
Sep 3, 2018 - 7:43 AM in reply to HF6978

Hi PP and welcome to MySwissAlps!

From Winterthur you can either train there on your own, or join a tour if you'd prefer from Zurich for the day.

To find the train schedules you can search the Swiss railways timetable for Winterthur to Jungfraujoch here: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Whether you do it on your own or with a tour it will be a long day. For tour options look here: www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/packages

Have you looked into rail passes for your trip at all? If you have a rail pass you may want to use that and not join a tour. www.myswissalps.com/sw issrailpasses

Peterli
Peterli
641 posts
top member
Sep 3, 2018 - 9:27 PM in reply to HF6978

Hello PP,

Make sure you check on the weather before you make such a long trip. It would be a pity to find the Jungfraujoch all enveloped in clouds.

HF6978
HF6978
5 posts
Sep 3, 2018 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for all the response. Doing some research and posting thread on forum, I found out that I need to change my game plan. will not stay at Winterthur any longer but would need to stay somewhere closer to
all these excursions like Lucern, Berne or Interlake. Any suggestions of where to visit and stay if I want to visit such places as Jungfraujosh, Lucern and Mt. Pilatus, Scenic Train Rides. My friend and I will stay in Switzerland for 6 full days and travel in a very tight budget. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PP

Peterli
Peterli
641 posts
top member
Sep 4, 2018 - 5:33 AM in reply to HF6978

Hello again,

Switzerland is an expensive country and a trip up to the Jungfraujoch is one of the most expensive excursions you can undertake in Switzerland. If you are on a very tight budget you might want to consider prioritizing the expensive excursions. I have no idea why you had yourself in Winterthur but I suspect that basing yourself in Lucerne is a better idea. Are you and your friend buying any sort of train pass ?

Lucas
Lucas
9632 posts
expert &
Sep 4, 2018 - 4:24 PM in reply to HF6978

Hi PP,

I'd look at staying in Lucerne and Interlaken if possible. Or just one of those two if you don't want to move hotels. Either can work well enough to get to those destinations.

Two scenic train rides you could look at are the Golden Pass route or the Gotthard Panorama Express route. Read more below:

Have a look at some rail passes here to help save you money: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

I'd look at the Swiss Travel Pass or the Swiss Half Fare Card as safe bets. To know for sure, plan out each day's trips and do the math with our help here: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

HF6978
HF6978
5 posts
Sep 4, 2018 - 11:08 PM

Hi Lucas and Peterli,

Thanks for all the suggestions and links. I will check out the link you provide here. Originally, I didn't do any research and thought Winterthur will be too far off from all these excursions. I will look into staying at Lucern and/or Interlaken for easier access.

Thanks.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018