Best way to reach Top of Europe from Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 August 2019 at 1:07:04 #823287

My Friends and I are staying in Interlaken September 2nd to the 6th. We plan on going up to Jungfraujoch, Top of the World, on a day that may not be cloudy, hazy, etc. I understand that we can ride one way up and then come down another side. We also want to stop in Lauterbrunnen or other smaller towns on the way down. First of all, is that possible and secondly, what would you suggest? We are young late 60’s, early 70’s but hiking is not in the cards for us . Also, can you give us the exact train we need to take from Interlaken the exchanges to go up and back. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 August 2019 at 3:24:44 #919555

Hello hwd1950 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

First off, it is the Top of Europe, not The Top of the World. 😉

Catch a train from Interlaken Ost to Grindelwald. Then head up to Jungfraujoch. On the way back return down to Wengen and then Lauterbrunnen. See http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e for more information. You will find the Jungfraujoch pricelist here. The Swiss Travel Pass (If you have one) fully covers you between Interlaken and Grindelwald and between Wengen and Interlaken. Between Grindelwald and Wengen you get 25% discount.

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) and even Allmendhubel if you have time. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. The entire circuit and side trips are free with the Swiss Travel Pass apart from the Allmendhubel Funicular (50% discount) and the Falls (modest entry fee).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2019 at 4:59:09 #919556

Thank you very much. I stand corrected on my naming mistake. Really. thank you. I have tried several different ways to get the exact trains and communities to change in. This is the clearest answer. Appreciate it.
    hwd1950

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 August 2019 at 5:09:39 #919557

Your welcome hwd1950. Hope you feel like you are on top of the world when you get up there. 😎

Some supplementary info: use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

• The thread ‘Best way to reach Top of Europe from Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.