Best way to travel from Zermatt to Netherlands?

• MickeyL
    Participant
    4 posts
    14 August 2022 at 18:25:00 #828078

Booked a fab Airbnb in Zermatt for 3 of us for a week for hiking/biking/exploring etc. First time in Switzerland for my husband and 23 year old son. Afterwards we plan to go to my native Netherlands (haven’t been there in 16 years).

QUESTION: What would be the least stressful way to travel there?

Do we take a train to Zurich or Geneve, then fly to Amsterdam? Should we train all the way to Amsterdam? Should we rent a car and drive ourselves? We’re looking at getting the Swiss Half Fare Rail Passes.

Vielen Dank!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    14 August 2022 at 21:29:42 #945613

I would take the train via cologne

change 4 times

start Zermatt 9:37

arrival Amsterdam Central (right in the city) 20:53

see attached connection

Anna
    6274 posts
    15 August 2022 at 4:41:06 #945614

Hi MickeyL,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I agree with Gramels. If you want to avoid flight delays and long queues at the airport, taking the train is probably the best option.

regards,

Anna

gramels
    Participant
    80 posts
    15 August 2022 at 6:35:32 #945615

do not take the connection via Paris (until you want to stay there) as you need to cross the city to change between stations.

For the connection via Cologne (also good to stay for a night) you might want to check prices (for the whole trip) at bahn.de, as they tend to be cheaper currently due to the eur chf exchange rate. You can enter HalbTax there as well.

Enjoy your trip

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2022 at 9:59:38 #945616

Best route Zermatt – Visp – Spiez – Basel – Koeln – Amsterdam

I would aim for ICE278, direct (no changes) from Spiez (10.22) to Koeln

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2022 at 17:35:29 #945617

Hi MickeyL,

I too would vote for the train. There are even recently introduced sleeper trains between Switzerland and Amsterdam. You’ll find more information about the train journey via Germany here: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany.

Have fun returning to your home country!

• The thread ‘Best way to travel from Zermatt to Netherlands?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.