Best way to travel from Zurich to La Tzoumaz

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 5:21:27 #815696

Hi,

What’s the best way to go from Zurich to La Tzoumaz in first week of June. We thought about taking a train from Zurich to Riddes and after that, we are not sure how easy it is to get to La Tzoumaz. I believe we change trains at Visp and again at Riddes for a local bus? We will be spending 3-4 nights in La Tzoumaz.

If travelling by train, is there sufficient time to change trains between 4 – 8 minutes given we’re new to the station and have a luggage each. Can we take the next train if we miss the connection.

If we decide to hire a car and drive from Zurich to La Tzoumaz, is there much to see along the way. I believe it’s motorway from Zurich to the exit at Riddes where the mountain roads are a bit of a challenge?

From La Tzoumaz, we plan to go to Como via Lugano, return the hire car in Lugano and taking a train to Milan in 3 – 4 days. Is there a heavy queue at the Lugano-Como border crossing ?

Any suggestions most welcomed

Jools

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 May 2018 at 6:28:57 #884041

Hello Jools and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

By best way to get there do you mean fastest?

The Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will give you the fastest route. If you want the most scenic route then I would say look at the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) to Montreux.

Before deciding on a hire car be sure to read http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 6:56:59 #884042

Hi Jools,

I wouldn’t take a car unless you are traveling around that area a fair bit as it is quite remote.

Although public transit isn’t terribly direct: From Zurich airport take the train to Viège or Sion and then the regional train to Riddes.
    From there you must get the cable car up to Isérables and then the bus to La Tzoumaz.

Returning a rental car at another city can be quite expensive as well so be aware of that when booking.
    As for border crossings,…you are are staying within the Schengen Zone so typically you just drive through…perhaps a little wait if it is busy (they stop cars randomly).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 8:26:05 #884043

Hi rockoyster, By the best way, I mean the fastest which is the most direct route I guess. We’ve already visited Montreux when we were in Geneva a couple of years ago and it is a beautiful town. We have read as much as we can on driving in Switzerland on the motorway but cannot find much information about the mountain roads from Riddes to La Tzoumaz at that time of year. We only have one day to get from Zurich to La Tzoumaz so a scenic train trip is not on the cards. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 8:39:42 #884044

Hi Lucas,

By remote, do you mean the mountain drive from Riddes to La Tzoumaz or the village itself? We’re aware its a very small ski resort which at that time of year is pretty quiet and everything is walking distance. However, as our travel plans include a trip to Como, we thought maybe a hire car would be the way to do it. As long as we return the car to Lugano and not Como, the rental rates stay the same. It’s good to know about the “drive through” between the borders. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2018 at 10:36:34 #884045

Hi Jools,

Lucas doesn’t work today. I think he means that the village and area are quite remote.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2018 at 15:51:58 #884046

Yes, the ski resort / village is remote so a car is a good idea (especially if there are no extra costs on the drop off). There may well be but they are hidden in the overall rental cost. Either way it might be the best option.

Happy travels!

• The thread ‘Best way to travel from Zurich to La Tzoumaz’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.