Bicycle reservation on EC 52 train, Milan to Brig

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2019 at 8:52:41 #822620

Hi,

I have purchased a ticket and seat reservation for an EC 52 train on 14/8/2019 from Milano Centrale to Brig through the SBB website but in the process of making the purchase, it didn’t present me with an option to reserve a place for my bicycle even though the information said that bicycle is allowed but reservation is compulsory. Can you please advise me how I can make the bicycle reservation before I travel to Europe from Australia?

Thank you.

Regards

Peter

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 July 2019 at 10:03:44 #916815

Hello Peter and Welcpme to MySwissAlps,

Hmmm. I’m thinking try bit.ly/2NEbuvo. It’s a wild guess.

Annika
    7121 posts
    3 July 2019 at 15:32:08 #916816

Hi Pangy58,

The SBB explain that you need a reservation plus a “bike ticket” for EC trains in Switzerland and Italy. They mention that this should be arranged for at a ticket counter. I’m not sure if the form provided by Rockoyster fits your needs, as it seems to be designed for Swiss destinations only (I can’t select Milan).

You can also check the information under “More on other websites” at myswissalps.com/train/ practical/luggage.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 July 2019 at 21:09:44 #916817

That link I provided is not relevant Annika. This seems like a strange Catch-22 situation.

Peter, I’d suggest you contact SBB direct to seek clarification. See also https://www.trenitalia.com/en/services/travelling_with_yourbike.html.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 1:32:55 #916818

Thank you Annika. Yes, you are correct. I actually have been to this site and it appears that you are only able to select destinations within Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2019 at 1:37:56 #916819

Thank you Rockoyster. I visited the Trenitalia site as you suggested and it indicated that I can only reserve a place for my bike at a ticket office or through one of their travel agencies. It seems that there is no way of doing it online. Unfortunately there is no agency available in Australia; so I am going to ask my friend in Italy to book it for me at one of their ticket offices.

Thanks again for yours and Annika’s help.

Cheers

Peter

• The thread ‘Bicycle reservation on EC 52 train, Milan to Brig’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.