BINAXNow Covid-19 test for entry into Switzerland?

• Amyecbox2634
    Participant
    6 posts
    4 July 2021 at 13:00:37 #825908

There is a home COVID test approved by the CDC in the U.S. for reentry into the U.S. after visiting a foreign country. It is the BINAXNow test. Am I able to bring that into Switzerland? I know the U.S. accepts it for return; I’m just not certain Switzerland will let me enter with it, and I cannot find the info anywhere.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 July 2021 at 13:48:13 #935576

Hi Amyecbox2634! The types of tests approved for entering Switzerland are mentioned at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland: either a PCR test or a rapid antigen test. I’m not sure if BINAXNow is either of those. If not, I don’t think it will be approved. You can ask you airline to make sure though, or call the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health infoline for people traveling to Switzerland (+41 58 464 44 88).

Lax_coach
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 July 2021 at 10:44:28 #935577

Hello,

I believe that Switzerland will allow you to enter with proof of vaccination. Can someone confirm this?

Lax Coach

Amyecbox2634
    Participant
    6 posts
    5 July 2021 at 11:36:04 #935578

Yes, I have proof of vaccination and can enter Switzerland with that, but I have to present a negative COVID test to return to the U.S. Instead of spending the time to find a testing center, I want to bring this home test with me to do before I leave Switzerland. It is approved by the U.S. I just wasn’t sure if I was allowed to carry the test into Switzerland. I guess I will bring it and see.

Lax_coach
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 July 2021 at 11:45:52 #935579

Hello,

I looked into that test as well but I could not confirm that the US would accept it. The information on the US State Department website says that the test to renter can be a rapid test but it needed to be administered by a lab or doctor. There is a thread above and the moderator who responded listed a number of testing options. I was able to book 4 rapid antigen tests at a pharmacy in Luzern pretty easily.

Good luck,

Lax Coach

Amyecbox2634
    Participant
    6 posts
    5 July 2021 at 12:02:41 #935580

Thank you. How much did you have to pay? I know the U.S. will accept the results of this home test. It must be done via video conference. I just wasn’t sure if there would be a problem bringing the test to Switzerland with me. Thanks again.

Lax_coach
    Participant
    4 posts
    5 July 2021 at 12:09:06 #935581

Hi ,

Yes, the State Department site did say that a doctor could sign off on a tellehealth call. The tests are 53 CHF each. My insurance said that I could get reimbursed if it is ordered by a doctor at the pharmacy. I don’t know if that will be an option for me or not.

Anna
    6362 posts
    5 July 2021 at 12:31:25 #935582

Hi Amyecbox2634,

I think it would not pose a problem to bring along those self-test kits with you. But to be completely sure, please check with your airline as recommended by Annika. If you need to get tested before your return journey, there are various testing centers all over Switzerland including at the major airports. Please use the link Annika listed in her post.

Safe travel and regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘BINAXNow Covid-19 test for entry into Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.