Birg Thrill Walk – fear of heights

• Lbonifa104
    Participant
    31 posts
    20 July 2022 at 12:10:07 #827824

Hi folks,

Just a quick question. Schilthorn is part of our itinerary. Is there a way to visit this place and enjoy the views without going through the Birg Thrill Walk? Can we skip it? I am so afraid of heights.

I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Maria

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2022 at 13:42:02 #944543

Hi Maria,

Yes, you can enjoy the view at Birg without going through the Thrill Walk. It is only optional.

But if you are afraid of heights, you might be afraid of the cable car too. If you would like to go to Schilthorn you have to take the cable car: http://www.myswissalps.com/schilthorn/gettingthere.

Ildiko

Lbonifa104
    Participant
    31 posts
    20 July 2022 at 13:54:17 #944544

Hi Ildiko,

Thank you for replying. I’m afraid of heights if I’m doing it myself physically. Any vehicle that will bring me to the top of the mountain is fine with me 😉.

It’s good to know that this is only optional.

All the best,

Maria

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2022 at 15:56:12 #944545

The clue is in the name ‘Thrill’

This kind of mountain experience is a modern phenomenon. In the past – generally speaking – you were either a fully fledged mountaineer or a ‘general tourist’. For the latter, from the late 19th century onwards, railways, cableways etc were built to get you up to the high altitude vistas. Once there you just went and looked at the view from a safe viewpoint, with a few extras such as orientation tables. Then of course as a ‘General tourist’ you could go hiking on ‘normal’ paths.

The Thrill walk concept has come about because ‘ordinary’ people now want to increasingly do ‘extraordinary’ things whilst remaining a ‘normal’ tourist equipment-wise

Lbonifa104
    Participant
    31 posts
    20 July 2022 at 19:10:57 #944546

Hi 1960man,

Thanks for sharing that information. What an amazing technology to satisfy the adventure seekers. I hope I can do it. We’ll see… 🙏

Take care,

Maria

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    20 July 2022 at 19:13:40 #944547

I’m afraid of heights as well and I DID the Thrill Walk. It’s really not that big of a deal. No real “exposure”. And once you are there you can check it out and see if you might actually be able to do it. You can always backtrack…

Here’s part of it. You are not really that high up

• The thread ‘Birg Thrill Walk – fear of heights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.