Birg Thrill Walk vs Grindelwald First in late Feb

Birg Thrill Walk vs Grindelwald First in late Feb

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Uallin
Uallin
84 posts
Nov 20, 2017 - 6:39 AM

Hi! Would like to know how similar are these 2 attractions. As we will have the Swiss Travel Passes, Birg will be free for us whereas we've to pay CHF30 for Grindelwald First. So wonder if it is worth going First. In addition, we plan to visit Mt Titlis's suspension bridge too. Will we miss a lot if we give First a miss? Thanks!

fredch
fredch
32 posts
Nov 20, 2017 - 1:14 PM in reply to Uallin

I have been to First and walked to Grindelwald. I found it to be a bit boring. Birg sounds interesting, especially the views.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4489 posts
expert
Nov 20, 2017 - 6:39 PM in reply to fredch

Will those places be accessible in late February?

Slowpoke

fredch
fredch
32 posts
Nov 20, 2017 - 6:44 PM in reply to Slowpoke

Only by lifts, I believe. Access in summer also by foot.

Uallin
Uallin
84 posts
Nov 21, 2017 - 4:58 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke. Did you mean Schilthorn and Birg might be closed in late February? I saw at schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles /fahrplan_2018_web.pdf that the cable cars will be operating so I assume the attractions are open. And thanks for sharing your experience, fredch. After looking at various First images I think we will skip First and spend more time at the Alpine villages instead. Did you like Grindelwald? We already have plans to visit Schilthorn, Birg, Murren and Wengen in 1 day. Had plan to visit Grindelwald on the second day morning before going Zermatt. We will be based in Interlaken. Thanks for sharing.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
4489 posts
expert
Nov 21, 2017 - 8:29 AM in reply to Uallin

Hi Uallin-

<<"Did you mean Schilthorn and Birg might be closed in late February? I saw at schilthorn. ch that the cable cars will be operating so I assume the attractions are open. ">>

I did not know, although I assumed it would be running in ski season. Never hurts to look at the timetable to get a sense of the timing, schedules, etc. I was also unsure about the details of the Thrill Walk in snowy weather...I've not been up there for that.

Glad you got an answer from a knowledgeable local.

By the way, Grindelwald has some nice views up to the Jungfrau massif, and the cableway up to First, but it is also the most commercialized of the villages.

Slowpoke

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018