Birg Thrill Walk vs Grindelwald First in late Feb

• Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    20 November 2017 at 6:39:02 #813700

Hi! Would like to know how similar are these 2 attractions. As we will have the Swiss Travel Passes, Birg will be free for us whereas we’ve to pay CHF30 for Grindelwald First. So wonder if it is worth going First. In addition, we plan to visit Mt Titlis’s suspension bridge too. Will we miss a lot if we give First a miss? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    20 November 2017 at 13:14:36 #872166

I have been to First and walked to Grindelwald. I found it to be a bit boring. Birg sounds interesting, especially the views.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    20 November 2017 at 18:39:17 #872167

Will those places be accessible in late February?

Slowpoke

fredch
    Participant
    57 posts
    20 November 2017 at 18:44:20 #872168

Only by lifts, I believe. Access in summer also by foot.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    21 November 2017 at 4:58:16 #872169

Hi Slowpoke. Did you mean Schilthorn and Birg might be closed in late February? I saw at schilthorn.ch/cmsfiles /fahrplan_2018_web.pdf that the cable cars will be operating so I assume the attractions are open. And thanks for sharing your experience, fredch. After looking at various First images I think we will skip First and spend more time at the Alpine villages instead. Did you like Grindelwald? We already have plans to visit Schilthorn, Birg, Murren and Wengen in 1 day. Had plan to visit Grindelwald on the second day morning before going Zermatt. We will be based in Interlaken. Thanks for sharing.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 November 2017 at 8:29:17 #872170

Hi Uallin-

<<“Did you mean Schilthorn and Birg might be closed in late February? I saw at schilthorn. ch that the cable cars will be operating so I assume the attractions are open. “>>

I did not know, although I assumed it would be running in ski season. Never hurts to look at the timetable to get a sense of the timing, schedules, etc. I was also unsure about the details of the Thrill Walk in snowy weather…I’ve not been up there for that.

Glad you got an answer from a knowledgeable local.

By the way, Grindelwald has some nice views up to the Jungfrau massif, and the cableway up to First, but it is also the most commercialized of the villages.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Birg Thrill Walk vs Grindelwald First in late Feb’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.