Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland through Happy Rail

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 September 2018 at 23:46:47 #818450

I’m a bit disappointed and upset. I purchased a Berner Oberland pass through the HappyRail link posted on this site. I selected HappyRail because the explanation on your pricing page implied that I would receive the electronic version of the pass instantly, whereas this may not be possible with the SBB site. Well, i got the electronic pdf, but now I have discovered it cannot be linked up with the SBB site when purchasing tickets. My friends bought directly through SBB, and their BO pass shows right up on their app and is integrated into the ticketing app, whereas mine is not.

I emailed HappyRail and they said it’s not possible to get my pass to show up in the app, and i will need to show the paper on the train vs using the app. Why is this not made clear in your explanation of the purchasing options? Is there a way to return my pass to HappyRail and purchase through SBB, since the pass isn’t valid until this Saturday?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 September 2018 at 6:10:06 #896578

Hi Laurac, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m sorry to hear you’re upset! Please note that electronic delivery is relatively new, especially for regional passes. Things evolve constantly. As far as I know, all passes need to be printed out. Even if that would not be required I’d still recommend it as phone batteries and internet connections can fail. Anyway, electronic passes can be stored on and presented from your phone to the train staff. It’s just a PDF; you can store and open it up like any other download without needing an app. I recommend to set your screen to full brightness and zoom in on the bar code for the staff to easily check. But as said, a printout is required as well just in case. I’ll will ask around to see if anything has changed recently.

I certainly wouldn’t return the pass. The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland is a product by the regional transportation companies (BLS in particular). Where you buy it (SBB, Happyrail, others) does not matter. You’ll get the same product, loading it in an app does not change that. If you would return the pass, it’s a cancellation. That comes with a cancellation fee normally, and finally you would end up with the exact same pass though another company.

Your pass is perfectly good to travel. Have fun and enjoy the region!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 September 2018 at 6:30:11 #896579

Hello Laurac,

The only time you need to purchase a ticket is when you travel on a route which is discounted (as opposed to free) with the BO Pass. Have a look at the validity map you can download at http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity. If you are travlling on a free route just board and show you BO Pass to the inspector if and when requested. As Arno says you can display the pass on a phone or show the paper copy.

As far as I’m aware there is no capability within the SBB app to link any form of travel pass to ensure the app offers the correct ticket price for tickets on routes with a reduction. The only options within the SBB app are to indicate whether you want to purchase a ticket at full fare or half-fare.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 September 2018 at 7:55:52 #896580

Hi Laurac,

I double checked for you with SBB. All passes need to be printed, but in reality showing in on your phone often works fine. Loading the pass into an app can’t be done as far as I know, and either way you need to be able to produce the printout on request.

Does this answer your questions?

• The thread ‘Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland through Happy Rail’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.