Boat ride from Lucerne to Lugano

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 15:12:25 #810998

Hi,

We are planning to go to Lugano from Lucerne on April 8 but instead of a train ride, we would like a boat ride instead. I went to SBB.ch but I don’t know what to input in there, specifically the To, From, Via boxes. I understand the Gotthard Panorama Express will be operational starting mid April. Would anyone know any similar boat ride to the Gotthard Panorama Express and where can I book the tickets?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 16:38:10 #859732

Hi Luthienbabe,

The boat travels from Luzern (German spelling) to Flüelen (see) so just enter those in the SBB timetable and it will show you the boat schedule. It is the same boat you take as part of the Gotthard Panorama Express.

You can buy the point to point tickets for trains and boats etc. here.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 5:32:41 #859733

Thank you Lucas.

Following your directions, if I choose the first option, we would be riding the Voralpen-Express 2579 then change to a train, is that correct? If so, I thought it would take longer to travel (5 hours) like the Gotthard Panorama Express?

And if we have Swiss Travel Pass Flex will whole ride be free or half the price?

Regards,

Luthienbabe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2017 at 8:48:32 #859734

Hi Luthienbabe,

From Flüelen (see) to Lugano you can travel by a Regional train (RE) or an Inter-City (IC) train.

The trip on an IC train is much faster than the RE trains. The IC trains travel faster and don’t follow the same route as the Gotthard Panorama Express train – they travel through the Gotthard base tunnel (World’s longest) so some scenery is missed.

The RE trains will run slower and on a more scenic route (a better choice for sightseeing if you can’t travel on the Gotthard Panorama Express).

The boat ride from Luzern to Flüelen (see) is the same boat trip as on the Gotthard Panorama Express train.

The entire trip is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass Flex (you can read about all the areas where it is valid here). However, you must make reservations for the Gotthard Panorama Express train.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2017 at 3:12:35 #859735

>> we would be riding the Voralpen-Express 2579 then change to a train, is that correct? If so, I thought it would take longer to travel (5 hours) like the Gotthard Panorama Express?

No, that’s not correct. The Voralpen-Express is a train that runs between Luzern and St Gallen, not a boat. By default, the timetable brings up the fastest travel options, which is almost never a boat 🙂

To get the timetable to show you the boats between Luzern and Flüelen, you need to click on “Advanced search”. Then scroll down to where you can select the mode of transport. Click “Unselect means of transport”, which will removed ticks from all boxes. Then click on “Ship”.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2017 at 14:48:51 #859736

Thanks for clearing that up, Alpenrose666 and Lucas!

• The thread ‘Boat ride from Lucerne to Lugano’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.