4 September 2016 at 22:50:31 #810033

I have few options for boat trips.

1. Lake geneva

2. vevey to montreux(Hotel stay)

3. Lake Thun

4. Lake near Interlaken

Which option is preferred?

I am travelling around 18sep to 22Sep

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 September 2016 at 6:02:14 #855706

Hi swap905,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Please note that your option 2 is Lake Geneva, and Lake Thun is a lake near Interlaken. For a boat trip on Lake Geneva I would prefer the eastern part of the lake: between Lausanne and Montreux/St-Gingolph. Lake Thun and Lake Brienz are both wonderful options near Interlaken. Please see the page about boat trips to find all details, and pictures, so you can make a choice.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 September 2016 at 13:42:16 #855707

Hi Swap905 –

All of those are nice, and Arno has clarified some important details.

Personally, I think lake Lucerne is better than any of them. 😉 Too bad you ‘ll have to make another trip for that one. 😉

This map may help you:

map.search.ch/?pos=611200,151168&z=2

On Lac Leman ( Lake Geneva) a nice stop is Yvoire, if it fits your schedule:

http://www.yvoire-france.com/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2016 at 18:47:43 #855708

Thanks for the reply Arno and Slowpoke.

Lucerne is also in my plan for 3rd day so I can do the boating there as well.

I just do not wanted to miss the good part and save the time as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2016 at 2:08:58 #855709

I just returned from a 9 day trip, I loved the boat trip on lake Brienz near interlaken. (I did extensive boat trips in lucerne and interlaken), but this looked the best to me. I did not take the Lake Thun one as it is a longer trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2016 at 13:37:14 #855710

Thanks chandraks.

I will definitely do the Brienz trip then.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 September 2016 at 7:23:57 #855711

Hi Swap905-

They are all good. Each has different kinds of scenery. The scenery around Lake Lucerne ( der Vierwaldstättersee) is more varied than that around Lake Brienz (der Brienzersee) , and the lake is much bigger, so that there are different routes to choose from on Lake Lucerne.

Lake Brienz is almost completely surrounded by high mountains and does not have so much of the lower rolling hills that surround some of the northern parts of Lake Lucerne near the lake shore. The southern part of Lake Lucerne has more mountainous scenery. That part is called der Urnersee, because it is mostly in Canton Uri.

Lake Geneva ( Lac Leman) has varied terrain, like Lake Lucerne). Near Montreux, the mountains are quite high very close to the lake. Near genva and Rolle, the higher mountains are a bit further from the lake shore.

This link describes a hike near part of the Urnersee. You can get a good impression of the surroundings by looking at some of the attached images toward the end:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

I don’t have any images of the Brienzersee handy; I have taken many more photos around Lake Lucerne.

The attached images taken from a mountainous peninsula near Luzern give an impression of both the southern part ( toward Vitznau) and the northern part….toward Luzern and toward Weggis ( at the northernmost part of the Urnersee) and toward Zug and the Zugersee .

You can judge the lay of the land from this map:

map.search.ch/?pos=685440,193536&z=4

By the way, keep an eye on the boat schedules:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

On Lake Lucerne, they change on September 12th to a reduced Autumn timetable, and on October 24th, to a more reduced Winter timetable. Your trip should fit into the Autumn schedule.

I di not check the other lakes, but they also will reduce their schedules as the colder weather approaches.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2016 at 22:40:29 #855712

We very much recommend some time on Lake Luzern and also recommend staying overnight in Vitznau

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 September 2016 at 0:18:54 #855713

Hi Bill-

Why Vitznau?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2016 at 2:23:56 #855714

Pretty boat ride directly from Luzern train station & Vitznau is quiet, friendly town with nice, affordable accommodations and good access up (and potentially over Mt. Rigi and points beyond) or further along the lake.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 September 2016 at 5:57:34 #855715

Hi billw –

Good point. Once per hour boat connections during most of the day (to Luzern and Brunnen (or other boat landings) is quite frequent by lake boat standards ;-). Service tends to be reduced during Winter. Check the lake boat time table that I linked above; note the seasonal variations.

And the bus that runs from along the shore between Küssnacht am Rigi and Brunnen offers frequent service from early in the morning until late at night to connect with the rail network.

And, as you note, the cograil up to Rigi Kulm runs from Vitznau.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Which boat trip do you prefer?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.