3 days in Montreux – boat trips and choc train

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2019 at 16:00:26 #824297

I have 3 days 3 nights at Geneva Lake area, staying all 3 nights very near Montreux Station. 3 N0v to 6 Nov 2019

Unlike Lucerne, Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, where I easily find links to good itinerary in My SwissAlps, to follow, I have trouble coming up with an intinerary for my 3 days and 3 nights .

Day 1. Upon arrival from Inter-laken, Visit Chillon Castle and explore appreciate stroll along Geneva Lake

Day 2 Saw from a thread. Early morning take a train from Montreux to Chexbrex Village, walk through vineyards to Rivas, take train to Vevey, ( recommended route my swissalps —-From Vevey, take trainto Lausanna via Puidoux Chexbrex – Is this the Chexbrex Village?). From Lausanna take boat to Geneva. Spend some time in Geneva, night take train back to Montreux.

Really do not know if this arrangement of places work . I do not know how to use SBB to look for boat timings. Can someone please guide me with this? Saw in My SwissAlps a list of possible boat trips. Are these boat trips like from Lausanna to Geneva covered by the Swiss Travel Pass?

Day 3. Morning Chocolate Train ( but looks like close.) to cheese and chocolate factory? Afternoon Rochers -de-Naye. How much is the cost after the 50% discount using the Swiss Travel Pass for the paid portion of the journey? Night stay at Montreux and next day go to Zermatt

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 October 2019 at 20:48:31 #924187

You will find boat timetables at http://www.cgn.ch/media/pdf/H oraire2019.pdf. You can use SBB but you need to enter advanced search mode and deselect all modes of transport except by “ship”: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable.

There is no boat from Lausanne to Geneva at that time of year. Which may be a good thing as it would chew up a lot of your day. The boat trip Lausanne to Chateau de Chillon is worth considering. You get great views of the castle as you approach from the lake. You can walk back from the castle to Montreux in about 50 minutes.

A trip to the cheese factory at Gruyéres and the chocolate factory at Broc-Fabrique AND a trip to Rochers-de-Naye on the same day could be pushing it. You don’t need the Chocolate Train. Regular trains service the route especially if you have a Swiss Travel Pass: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity. Don’t miss looking around the medieval village of Gruyéres and visiting the castle and museums there. You can easily take a whole day for the round trip. I went by train to Gruyéres then Broc-Fabrique then to Chatel-St-Denis. From there back to Vevey/Montreux is an interesting and scenic bus ride.

I’d suggest doing Rochers-de-Naye on your first day and combining the castle and boat on day 2.

Vevey to Puidoux takes you up to the higher parts of the vineyards so you get a better (or at least different) view of the lake.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 October 2019 at 4:27:18 #924188

Thank you Rockoyster. I will use your itinerary for my day 2 and 3 (4-6 November )

I am coming over from Lauterbrunnen , staying next to the waterfall from 2-3 nov.

Arriving on 3 nov at Montreux, by passing Interlaken .

Very tight time table at Lauterbrunnen on 2 Nov ,Trip to Mount Scilthorn band walk back. Train up to Wenger . If still have time explore waterfall surrounding ,If not enough time, explore the next morning before going Montreux.

on 3 Nov morning, Should I stop by Lake Thun for the boat ride before heading for Montreux or go to Montreux , put down luggage and have a trip to Geneva and back Montreux at night ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 October 2019 at 4:55:49 #924189

Should I stop by Lake Thun for the boat ride before heading for Montreux or go to Montreux , put down luggage and have a trip to Geneva and back Montreux at night ?

I think you might be trying to cram too much in. Just enjoy the Golden Pass train ride from Interlaken to Montreux and if you get there early enough and the weather looks favourable head up to Rochers-de-Naye. You will see the waterfalls in between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen on 2 November so there should be no need to take time on the following morning. Get going to Montreux.

But that’s just my personal view. Everyone has different priorities. But be aware that in November there is only one Lake Thun boat ride from Interlaken West to Thun per day. It doesn’t depart until 14:10 and takes over 2 hours.

What is your objective in wanting to take a 2-hour roundtrip to Geneva after a 4 hour trip from Lauterbrunnen to Montreux? You will have already used up 6 hours of your day in train rides and even if you did go you wouldn’t have much time to see anything in Geneva!

I just returned from 5 weeks in Switzerland. I had a week in Montreux and a week in Neuchâtel and still never found the time to go to Geneva.

What does your overall Swiss itinerary look like. You seem to be asking separate questions on different threads about individual parts of your trip. It would help to offer advice if you could share with us the overall picture.

Anna
    6382 posts
    25 October 2019 at 8:08:25 #924190

Hi Thcshc,

Regarding your question about boat timings on Lake Geneva, I think Arno has answered your query in an earlier thread. See link: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/boat-timetable-1

I hope you will enjoy the walk through the Lavaux vineyards. For more information about the hike, see the following link, but this only covers a portion of the entire route and starts from Lutry and ends in Epesses. Lauvaux vineyard walk from Lutry: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/lutry-epesses

The full vineyard route covers slightly over 10km and would require 4.5 hours of continous walking. But you don’t have to walk the whole stretch to enjoy the vineyards. There are a few starting points and one of them is Chexbres-Village (there are a few stops called Chexbres so make sure you use the exact name when using the timetable). From Montreux, it’s a quick 30 mins train journey to get there. Don’t forget to visit the Vinorama in Rivaz. It’s open from 10.30am to 7pm Wednesday to Sunday. A walk from Chexbres-Village to Rivaz should take you no more than 30 mins. If you have time, walk all the way to St Saphorin (about 25 mins), then take the train back to Montreux (15 mins).

In addition to all the useful links provided by rockoyster, feel free to use a few more links below for your trip:

Best regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘3 days in Montreux – boat trips and choc train’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.