Bollywood on Mt Titlis and Disney on Jungfraujoch?

• Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    8 March 2019 at 10:01:16 #820293

Hello guys thank you all for replying to my previous “different” question on cable car safety.

Well, here’s another …

We were planning a trip up Mt Titlis in early October only to discover via reviews on Tripadvisor that it has become somewhat taken over by Indians following Bollywood film locations. Is this your experience? I do not wish to have my photo taken next to some cardboard cut outs of Bollywood actors on the top of Mt Titlis.

Have seen some excellent YouTube reviews of Switzerland by Indians but not sure I want to experience a Bollywood Titlis? We should be in Switzerland in early October and hopefully miss the busy Diwali period.

Nothing against Indians but we want to experience natural Swiss beauty.

And then there’s Jungfraujoch. Of course the trip there looks great and the scenery/views are fantastic. But what is it with the man made attractions. Will probably give Jungfrau a miss and look for more natural beauty elsewhere.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Luke
    Participant
    105 posts
    8 March 2019 at 10:18:48 #905980

Hi Sweyne,

There are a lot of tourists in Switzerland – especially in the summer months. You shouldn’t find huge crowds in October though. The website has a nice page on what to expect here: http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Tourists from India do sometimes visit Switzerland for its Bollywood connections – they are there for the pristine landscapes they’ve seen in famous films and I don’t recall seeing any “displays” anywhere that indicate a film was shot there.

Jungfraujoch can be overly commercialized for some people – great destination either way but it is a personal call

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2019 at 10:21:56 #905981

What was your question again?

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    8 March 2019 at 11:40:31 #905982

Mt Titlis … “We were planning a trip up Mt Titlis in early October only to discover via reviews on Tripadvisor that it has become somewhat taken over by Indians following Bollywood film locations. Is this your experience? I do not wish to have my photo taken next to some cardboard cut outs of Bollywood actors on the top of Mt Titlis.

Jungfrau …And then there’s Jungfraujoch. Of course the trip there looks great and the scenery/views are fantastic. But what is it with the man made attractions.(ok I missed out the question mark here) Will probably give Jungfrau a miss and look for more natural beauty elsewhere.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2019 at 12:05:15 #905983

Hi Sweyne

I can understand the concern somewhat, those particular mountain tops are very scenic and very touristy. However as Luke said October would be the lower season for the top attractions so it shouldn’t affect your experience too much.

Luckily Switzerland has no shortage of mountain tops if you want something off the beaten track… Maybe have a look at our tool and search for other mountain tops: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/naturalsites/ mountains

You could consider for example Schynige Platte, Brienzer Rothorn or Niesen which are still touristy but a bit less so than the two you’ve mentioned.

Another tip is that the crowds of tourists tend to stick to just walking around the train station or cable car stop. If you plan for example a hike from point A to B (easy hikes can be done along the ridge many times), you will be able to see the natural beauty. I have done that many times to avoid the tourist crowds. If that appeals to you, you can have a look at hiking options here by difficulty level, altitude and the location where you are staying: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Hope that helps in finetuning your plans!

Maria.

Sweyne
    Participant
    57 posts
    8 March 2019 at 14:22:00 #905984

Brilliant again! thanks Maria

Crossofiron
    Participant
    32 posts
    8 March 2019 at 23:42:46 #905985

My last trip to Titlis did have some Bollywood type figures at the top of the mountain that catered to Indian tourists. Not a big deal as there is plenty of room to just walk to a different part of the area.

Crossofiron
    Participant
    32 posts
    8 March 2019 at 23:43:49 #905986

Surprised that you did not understand what the question was.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 March 2019 at 23:58:30 #905987

A “senior’s moment” perhaps. Or perhaps I concluded the question was rhetorical after Sweyne went on to explain the solution they had decided upon to solve their perceived issue. 😉

Crossofiron
    Participant
    32 posts
    9 March 2019 at 0:03:36 #905988

I think I understand. 🙂

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    9 March 2019 at 3:45:27 #905989

Hi Sweyne

there is a lot of beautiful scenery in the Jungfrau area and as Maria suggests you often only have to go a short way from the busiest tourists spots to experience it. My very first hike in Switzerland was from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg which has some gorgeous views but as I turned a corner and got my first view of KS, I was surprised and a little put off to see a large red teepee with Coka Cola written on the side. Similarly at Schilthorn there are cutouts of James Bond. Oh well it’s the price you pay and you learn to sidestep or ignore the sometimes obtrusive ads and enjoy the otherwise spectacular vistas. I do try to avoid the biggest crowds and most touristy spots so while I have hiked most of the tails in the Jungfrau area I have never been to Jungfraujoch. By going in October you should miss most of the crowds. Mark

• The thread ‘Bollywood on Mt Titlis and Disney on Jungfraujoch?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.