Book tickets from Paris to Luzern late December?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2018 at 15:54:47 #818670

Hi

I am trying to book tickets around Christmas from Paris to Luzern on raileurope, however it always prompts “It is too early to book the requested journey. The reservation will be available starting on 20/09/18 . Please select an earlier travel date or set-up an email reminder.”

It is Oct 12, anything I missed on this booking?

Thanks

Victor

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2018 at 16:15:33 #897811

Hi Victor,

Reservations are typically available 90 days in advance (I’m guessing you are searching for 20/12/2018)?
    The issue now is that the train schedules are not set past Dec.9 and will be released in the coming week or 2.

Virtually all train operators put out their schedules in mid-October for the period Dec. 10 to Dec.9 for each year.

If you haven’t seen our train ticket page, you can find a few different online retailers for those tickets (Paris – Lucerne or Paris – Basel) here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france/pric e

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 October 2018 at 23:31:59 #897812

The problem is there are no direct trains Paris – Luzern.

Bookings are open from Paris – Switzerland (at least on Lyria web site) but only on the French TGV portion of the journey.

The blocking factor is probably the cross-border element. Try booking just Paris – Basel. I tried Paris – Luzern on the Lyria web site and got ‘not available’ but then tried just the TGV element Paris – Basel, and got all the prices

Try and avoid Rail Europe and book on TGV Lyria (although diverts you to Oui.sncf site anyway)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2018 at 11:21:16 #897813

Thank you guys, I decided to wait for another few days to see if it turns available.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2018 at 12:41:29 #897814

If you can’t buy tickets from Paris to Basel or Lucerne now,on the website I linked above then you will before the end of October, probably within the week. Timetables are set the 2nd or 3rd week of October each year. So it isn’t a questions of “if”. 🙂

• The thread ‘Book tickets from Paris to Luzern late December?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.