Booking of Glacier Express with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 13:06:45 #814835

Hi,

I’m planning for a trip with my family with 2 kids (13yrs, 9yrs) from Zamatt to St Moritz by Glacier Express on 11/6/2018. I’ve purchased the Swiss Travel Pass Family Card (15 days).

Do i need to purchase the Glacier Express ticket and reservation separately or

only need to purchase for reservation of Glacier Express using the family card?

I believe the Glacier Express ticket is covered right…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 14:42:17 #879094

Also, i buy Swiss Travel Pass for 2nd class and do a reservation for Glacier Express for 1st class, there is nothing to indicate in the system that i am holding a 2nd class pass. the price is just shown for 1 class reservation.

i) so will i incur any additional charges.

ii) as i will be carrying along 2 large luggage and 2 small cabin bags, will i be able to keep them at my sitting area if i am travelling in 2nd class

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 March 2018 at 17:11:56 #879095

Hi Manivannan,

There is no 15 day Swiss Family Card per se. You get the Swiss Family Card for free when you order a 15 day (or other amount) Swiss Travel Pass. The STP is what you actually are buying.

With each adult having a STP and one Swiss Family Card to cover the 2 kids you will all travel for free on the Glacier Express route except everyone needs a seat reservation (mandatory for everyone).

Your Swiss Travel Pass will show that it is 2nd class. So if you buy 1st class seat reservations you’ll need to do a class upgrade for this trip- you can do this online or at the rail station before travel (it costs 1/2 the price difference between 1st and 2nd class tickets).

In 1st or 2nd class there wouldn’t be room to keep all your bags with beside you no. You may be able to put the smaller bags below or behind your seat – otherwise you can put luggage in luggage racks at the end of the carriage.

• The thread ‘Booking of Glacier Express with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.